badder hyperion advice!

bmc

Someone clever then me can work out for you if you can achive focus (i dont see why not) but that should be the only thing you need to check.

As for the eyepiece i have one and the rings and they are brilliant, if you can use then you won't be disapointed

I have the 17mm and love it - it is better suited to 'scopes with a focal ratio of slower than f6  so you should be fine there. I think that in terms of Hyperions, the 17mm is possibly the pick of the bunch. The tuning rings work well and are worth the extra money but be aware that they are fiddly to use outside in the cold - better to plan in advance and assemble inside.

As already stated, the Hyperion will be fine in your scope. Consider this though, these will perform equally, if not better (albeit with a slightly smaller fov), and you'll have two focal lengths for less than a single Hyperion and the tuning rings......

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/1-25-18mm-BST-Explorer-Dual-ED-eyepiece-Branded-Starguider-/161049462890?pt=UK_Telescope_Eyepieces&hash=item257f4bc86a

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/1-25-12mm-BST-Explorer-Dual-ED-eyepiece-Branded-Starguider-/380679675225?pt=UK_Telescope_Eyepieces&hash=item58a246dd59

Just some food for thought!

Cheers Damon, I'll give them a look. I was thinking though if I had the badder hyperion plus the two rings, it  would give me 3different focal lengths, and the option to supply myself with more of these ep's.

When I had the Hyperions, I used the fine tuning rings extensively.  Found them to be quite an innovative idea and they worked quite well with all the focal lengths.  When adding them to the 5mm Hyperion it did increase the later color in the off-axis some, but not enough to bother me.  Also note that the 24mm Hyperion cannot use the rings as it has no lenses in the barrel.  Also note that the 24mm, being a different optical design, does not have as good correction off-axis, especailly for fast focal ratios, and some folks don't like that one too much.  I found it acceptable though as I use 24mm more as a finder focal length than a critical observing focal length.

Now if Baader could make a telescoping fine tuning ring so it zooms, then that would be really neat!

also, if you have a 2" focusser - dont the hyperions have the little bit in the middle that unscrews (the 1.25" part), turning it in to a widefield longer focal length erfle design?

yes they do. if you had for example the 17"ep, took off the bottom part (as though you were fitting an adjustment ring). the ep would become a 30"ep.

Nebula,

I use the 8mm and 17mm plus the 2 rings in scopes down to F6 and they perform well, so they will be excellent in your f11.  I too have also liked the views better in the 17 than the 8, although I have never liked the view in either, once you remove the lower set of lenses and use the eyepieces in a dedicated 2 inch format. Without the first group of lenses, both the 8mm and 17mm have the same 21.8 focal length, and in my opinion, a soft and largely unusable image. Therefore, I always leave on the lowest group, and the 17 becomes a 13.1 mm with the 14 mm FTR, a 10.8mm with the 28mm FTR, and a 9.2 with both rings attached. All things considered, Very good bang for your buck. Hope this helps.

David

I own that eyepiece and also both ftr's. Brilliant piece of gear and I love the fact that it is modular with the inclusion of the tuning rings. 4 eyepieces in one. Awesome. Will be fine in your scope.

ps

They call it the hand grenade. I'm sure you can work that one out.!!! :p

Also, I was told to change over the tuning rings when outside to reduce the risk of getting dust inside the element. Tricky yes. Trying to do it in the dark can be something of a problem, but I have managed it. Isn't a problem if you are using a red head torch. If you have a small garden table or something like that that you could use for the changeover just in the event you drop something. 

Archived