SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

Saddleworth star camp

• Replies 154
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Meh - forecast is Rubbish today plus its absolutely tipping down and I don't want to set up and pitch my tent in the wet. Tomorrow still looks good (indeed better) in the evening, so I'm going to come over for tomorrow lunchtime instead.

Jules has asked me to put a note on here to say that as at now it's blowing a gale and really not conducive to putting up tents nor of course and stargazing. He advises anyone planning to be there tonight to postpone to tomorrow.  I'll liaise with him tomorrow a.m. and add a further update, hopefully before lunch. Cursed weather.

Hello.  Went up earlier, bout 7.30 as only 20 mins from my gaff.  Blowing a hooley for sure.  Saw a couple of tents but no one bobbing about and I dont blame em.  May call by for an hour or two tomorrow afternoon if the weather breaks by then.  Hope it will so you all can get a good nite out later.   At least i paid for my pitch even tho it wasnt used.  least I could do.

If I dont make it to see afew of you,  I'll be up for the next attempt.  The site looks good.  Flaming cloud !!!!!

John

Shame about the weather chaps, hope you get a break tomorrow and the wind drops.

Stu

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

It comments like this that make me laugh and feel good at the same time. Laugh because as amateur astronomers we are always trying to beat nature and get a look at the stars and feel good because of the sense of community and solace we have for each other in our sometimes failed attempts :rolleyes:

I do hope the conditions improve significantly for the remainder of the weekend.

@ Mike - i hope you are alright in your "pod", whatever that is?

Ian

A pod is a wooden tent, like a very strong shed it shrugs of wind and rain.

I had to leave the site as the tent had been leaking in the bedroom, myself and Claire went to turn in only to find the bedding soaking wet, with a puddle on the airbed! this was the last straw, we will go back later today and dismantle (burn!) the tent and pack away our wet things

A pod is a wooden tent, like a very strong shed it shrugs of wind and rain.

I had to leave the site as the tent had been leaking in the bedroom, myself and Claire went to turn in only to find the bedding soaking wet, with a puddle on the airbed! this was the last straw, we will go back later today and dismantle (burn!) the tent and pack away our wet things

What a nightmare Jules, such a shame.

Stu

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Weather is a bit changeable here in Rochdale, sun trying to punch through, but a bit windy.

Forecast shows the wind should drop this evening, but you may have to dodge the clouds a bit.

Good luck and have a great time.

BTW Astronomy Centre is open after 7.30 tonight if you need somewhere to visit.

Unfortunately, I think I am going to err on the cautious side for the same reasons as Nick and I have to try to pick my all nighter events as I am restricted due to family ties etc. It's so flipping (replace with an expletive of your choice) frustrating. I hope anyone there will get some good sky. I may try to get somewhere next weekend with the extra day.

Well said Shane,

As you can all imagine, i feel a bit demoralized about this, but a few people are still there and some more arriving. Hopefully they will get some clear skies, Phil and Mike got some clear skies early hours and did some bino viewing, i had no choice but to pull out and come home, due to the soaking wet bedding, but i will be going back and making use of a pod for a night

Archived