Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Astrotrac case/pouch

I'm off abroad in a few weeks and I'm looking to take my astrotrac and was just wondering what or how you take yours away?

I'm thinking of, obviously, keeping it in my hand luggage but I'm in two minds whether to just wrap it in a cloth or bubble wrap or whether to get a case or soft pouch for it.

Thoughts appreciated.

An interesting question Lee, and one I'm interested in seeing the options for too. When I took mine in hand luggage, it went in the laptop compartment of my Tamrac Aero 85, and survived the journey in both directions, although it does cause some fun and games at the air port security scanners.

Thanks John / Dodge.

I have seen a couple of tripod cases / pouches on amazon which I might take a punt on but wanted to see what others thought.

John - I'm not sure what hand luggage bag to take yet but I have one camera bag with a laptop section which might do the trick. Alternatively it might be a standard small suitcase, with my camera body, couple of lenses and astrotrac suitably wrapped.

Mine was fine when I took it to the US a couple of years ago wrapped in bubble wrap and packed in a suitcase.

As a general rule, if it's fragile or irreplaceable it travels in my camera bag and/or coat pockets, otherwise larger stuff like tripods and chargers, etc, goes in the suitcase as hold luggage. 

Have a great trip Lee.

Hi Lee, i carry mine in my rucksack. Best thing to do is put a bag over each end (just a plastic shopping bag) to stop any small particles getting into anwhere it shouldnt and then i also wrap it in a small blanket to keep it safe. As long as you dont get hit by a vehicle it will be fine :) have a good one!

bubble wrap in my backpack with camera, lenses,.........................................etc

the bubble wrap absorbs the little knocks going into the security scanner and overhead locker.

It has seen some holidays now and has survived intact

For my trip to Norway for the Venus Transit I made a box from rigid rectangular plastic conduiting; bottom end closed by a wooden plug; top similarly but held in place by velcro straps as an opening.  The Astrotrac is padded by a drawstring bag.  There's room for tools etc. in the box too.  Perhaps it was OTT but it got there and back safely. 

Archived