sgl_imaging_challenge_banner_31.thumb.jpg.b7a41d6a0fa4e315f57ea3e240acf140.jpg

~9 hours on M 33 with an unguided AG12

Ahoy mateys!

I finally had the time to process some of the data I've acquired during this autumn, my current workload have "forced" me keep shooting completely automated data from my roll-off-roof observatory 12km outside my city.

This have been by far one of the toughest targets to process, even though I had quite a pile of data to juggle with, there's endless of stuff embedded in the spiral-arms that took great concentration and discipline to bring out without throwing off the rest of the image. Data aquired during 5 different nights, shooting the subs when the target was in the highest position of the sky.

I've also included an annotated version where tons of dss2-galaxies are marked and labeled with magnitude. Moonlight during the lum-acquisition limited the background-depth somewhat.

Aquisition:
ACP + Scheduler
MaximDL
FocusMax
Telescope: Orion Optics AG12
Camera: QSI 583 wsg-8
Mount: 10Micron GM 2000 HPS
Guiding: Unguided
Exposures:
Lum : 77 x 180s
Red : 20 x 180s
Green : 20 x 180s
Blue : 20 x 180s
Ha : 12 x 600s
Total time: 531 minutes / 8.9 hours

Med_98.jpg
Med_98_Annotated.jpg
I've just implemented a smooth transition "mouse-over" function for annotated images on my homepage, it's very interesting to spot the weak background-galaxies without having to alt-tab between the two versions...
Best Regards
Jonas Grinde
  • Like 15
  • Replies 29
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Ahoy mateys! I finally had the time to process some of the data I've acquired during this autumn, my current workload have "forced" me keep shooting completely automated data from my roll-off-roof obs

Thanks a lot for the kind and encouraging comments ppl! Both platesolving and annotation-info was made using PixInsight : ImageSolver and AnnotateImage scripts

Stunning level of detail and considerable work/dedication in the processing.   The annotated version looks very professionally done, extremely useful though I prefer the naked image - is this information derived from astrometry.net as a plate solve on the final image?

Thanks a lot for the kind and encouraging comments ppl! :)

The annotated version looks very professionally done, extremely useful though I prefer the naked image - is this information derived from astrometry.net as a plate solve on the final image?

Both platesolving and annotation-info was made using PixInsight : ImageSolver and AnnotateImage scripts

• Like 1

Heh heh. That's good! That's very good indeed! Delicious detail and the familiar processing skill which hauls out the detail without any sign of 'processing' whatever. Stunning, Jonas. You are a world class player.

Unguided? Well, your mount does guide on itself! I wish mine did!!!

Lovely.

Olly

Jonas,

That is a remarkable image, your processing is perfect. Did you use PixInsight on this? I have seen

many overprocessed images done with PI that end up looking like paintings instead a pictures.

But none of that here! Great scope too!

Why only 3 min subs in lum?

Best regards,

Pieter

Fantastic Jonas! I like the HII areas in particular. Quite often th HII regions in M33 seem very bright but with no detail at all ( I think someone else used the word "painting") - not here! Plenty of details within both HII regions and star fields

/Thommy

• 2 weeks later...

Excellent Jonas,

Beautifully processed, you made it look effortless. Super pic. Lots of detail, and silky smooth. Lovely star colour, and I did notice on the larger version, they are a little diamond shaped. Is that from the spider in the scope, or was that from star work in the processing?

Tom.