Anyone for a quick game of spot the Plossl?

Joves

Hi guys,

I thought I would send a couple of quick shots, as much to show off my new collection as to demonstrate the sheer enormity of the TV Ethos range of eyepieces. These are some seriously hefty EP's. Note that the smaller 3.7mm is actually the second largest EP in the collection... Apparently wide FOV comes at a cost, other than the obvious one, after all!

The tiny 3-6mm Nagler zoom and 15mm Plossl in the foreground should give you some indication of scale :)

post-30253-0-65078600-1383887462_thumb.j

post-30253-0-48369700-1383887530_thumb.j

• Replies 29
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Lovely collection Joves :)  Do you ever get into the outback to view?  Funny thing for you, very much unlike us over here, is that at night you'd need to be careful the local wildlife didnt kill you.  Worst we have to look out for here is slugs and toads!

Thanks Graham... It's getting there!

I wish I could get out to clearer skies a lot more than I do, which at the moment is roughly NEVER! Haha... The dingo may have gotten her baby, but it ain't gonna get mine!!

Nice one Joves, you do seem to have got it bad!!

What you really need though is a proper big ep like the 31t5 ;-). Makes the 21e look positively slender!

post-6762-138389724684_thumb.jpg

Interested to see how you get on with the 3.7e, and whether you need to trim your eyelashes to use it!

Cheers,

Stu

Nice one Joves, you do seem to have got it bad!!

What you really need though is a proper big ep like the 31t5 ;-). Makes the 21e look positively slender!

attachicon.gifImageUploadedByTapatalk1383897239.992609.jpg

Interested to see how you get on with the 3.7e, and whether you need to trim your eyelashes to use it!

Cheers,

Stu

I will post a pic later showing the 31T & a Delos :smiley:

Stu, if by "got it bad" you mean the "spend up big and worry later" bug, you're spot on!

Funny, there is one EP that I absolutely know I'm going to get (and no doubt sooner rather than later) and that is the 31 Nagler. I did have a look and hold of one when buying the last two and HOLY MOLY...

Will be very interesting to see how the 3.7m goes... My beautiful long lashes are already trying to get in on the action with the 13mm Ethos! :S

Ps. I was kidding about the beautiful part :)

Hey Stu,

Sick of me yet? Haha...

Seriously though, where is your report on the 3.7mm Ethos? You're the only other person I "know" that owns one! Any good??

(If you say no, it'll break my heart!)

Be honest though :)

Aaron

Hi Aaron,

If I could only get some free time which co-incided with clear skies then I would/will give it a go! From the brief try out I had on Jupiter the other morning, it was cracking, very sharp and with loads of contrast. Not sure if you've seen that post? The fov is too much for me really, I would have been happy with 100, or even less. I bought it mainly because it is optimum planetary magnification in both my main fracs eg TV76 (x130), and Astrotech 106 EDT (x186).

The eyelashes are a problem on the moon when trying to see the field stop, but are less of an issue on Jupiter and smaller targets where you don't need to cram your eye in so tight trying to see the field stop.

I've actually just picked up an old f5 Genesis (yet to collect), and am really looking forward to the 5.08 degree flat field I should get with that and the 31t5! :-)

Won't post here, but the rest of my eps/cases are in the ep case thread. I do really like the Delos in the mid and higher power ranges. If there was a 3.7 Delos, I would probably have bought it in preference to the Ethos because of the eye relief.

Cheers,

Stu

Joves,  Congratulations on the black and green family they look very nice.

Stu,  I am a bit puzzled over the eye lashes, I thought all the Ethos range had the same eye-relief and I know you have more than one. Also what was wrong with the Delos 3.5mm, is .2 that much?

Alan.

Joves, Congratulations on the black and green family they look very nice.

Stu, I am a bit puzzled over the eye lashes, I thought all the Ethos range had the same eye-relief and I know you have more than one. Also what was wrong with the Delos 3.5mm, is .2 that much?

Alan.

Hi Alan,

I think it is the fact that the 3.7 has 110 degree fov so you have to position your eye closer to take in the whole view.

I have a 3.5mm Type 6 nag as you know, which gives x197 in the 106mm. The 3.7mm just seems to fit nicely at x186 which is often a good optimum for Jupiter etc. just bring picky I guess :-)

Stu

Archived