Baader Hyperion Zoom filter diameters

DaveJFT

Hi Everyone,

I have a Baader Hyperion Zoom which is a 2"eyepiece and uses an adapter to make it compatible with the 1¼" focuser on my 130p. I'll be upgrading my 130p to a scope with 2" focuser in a year or so.

I'm looking to buy a UHC filter for this eyepiece now and I'm wondering whether if I buy a 2" filter now whether it will be compatible with the 1¼" adapter or am I stuck with buying a 1¼" filter now and upgrading that later too.

Many thanks,

Dave

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Tapatalk

The Baader Hyperion exit tube is 1.25", the 2" adapter is merely physical rather than functional and doesn't reflect the actual size of lens. Bear in mind 2" focusers usually have a 1.25" adapter, you just remove it if you want to use a 2" eyepiece and put it back for 1.25" ones. You'll notice in the photo below that it's a system that accommodates both 2" and 1.25"...

focuser_-_apertura_dob_scope_side_image_

Ok, thanks emadmoussa. It seems that I'll need to buy a 1¼" filter now and upgrade that later too. I was wondering whether the Zoom accepted 2" filters at the end of its body - like its fixed length brethren - which the nosepieces then screw into, but it appears not.

According to the Baader eyepiece instructions I found at http://www.alpineastro.com/Hyperion-Eyepieces_com/Images_and_Docs/HyperionandZoomInstructions-Version2.pdf, at the end of the bodies of the Baader Hyperion fixed length eyepieces there is an M48 thread for 2" filters which will then accommodate a 2" nosepiece or an adapter collar for a 1¼" nosepiece.

However, at the same point the Zoom only has an M45 thread intended for direct fitting to certain spotting scopes so is not compatible with 2" filters. In order to fit filters they need to be fitted to the bores of the nosepieces so I cannot use a 2" filter with this eyepiece on a 1¼" focuser. :(

It would have been great if they'd designed the eyepiece with an M48 thread at the end of its body and then provided an M45 adaptor for the spotting scopes.

Ok, thanks emadmoussa. It seems that I'll need to buy a 1¼" filter now and upgrade that later too. I was wondering whether the Zoom accepted 2" filters at the end of its body - like its fixed length brethren - which the nosepieces then screw into, but it appears not.

According to the Baader eyepiece instructions I found at http://www.alpineastro.com/Hyperion-Eyepieces_com/Images_and_Docs/HyperionandZoomInstructions-Version2.pdf, at the end of the bodies of the Baader Hyperion fixed length eyepieces there is an M48 thread for 2" filters which will then accommodate a 2" nosepiece or an adapter collar for a 1¼" nosepiece.

However, at the same point the Zoom only has an M45 thread intended for direct fitting to certain spotting scopes so is not compatible with 2" filters. In order to fit filters they need to be fitted to the bores of the nosepieces so I cannot use a 2" filter with this eyepiece on a 1¼" focuser. :(

It would have been great if they'd designed the eyepiece with an M48 thread at the end of its body and then provided an M45 adaptor for the spotting scopes.

I'd say if your eyepieces are 1.25", then choosing a 1.25" should be natural...it'll save you money as well :)

Hi Everyone,

I have a Baader Hyperion Zoom which is a 2"eyepiece and uses an adapter to make it compatible with the 1¼" focuser on my 130p. I'll be upgrading my 130p to a scope with 2" focuser in a year or so.

I'm looking to buy a UHC filter for this eyepiece now and I'm wondering whether if I buy a 2" filter now whether it will be compatible with the 1¼" adapter or am I stuck with buying a 1¼" filter now and upgrading that later too.

Many thanks,

Dave

Dave if you want to borrow mine as a trial I can pop it around (1.25"), I didn't find it very useful in my smaller scope :smiley:

Thanks Shaun, probably not to worry though. The theme of most opinions seems to be that they don't have to much of an impact in smaller scopes. The next time we meet at the site I could give it a try perhaps?

Archived