Interesting looking reflectors - photo collection.

emadmoussa

Wow, some of those look quite strange, others plain sexy! I'm very confused as to how the one attached to the wall under the window works though? How does the light get from the mirror to the eyepiece? 

I saw this one before, the guy has the eyepiece on the other side of the wall and moves the mirrors by some knobs inside the house.

That wall reflector made me laugh. Would that piece of wood holding the EP jammed in the window really keep out the cold - surely it would be better if the observer was outside, mirror well away from the wall of the house which would give off heat...

Points for originality though!! :)

post-27451-0-99999600-1383735552.jpg

This is only a part of the telescope. The mirror shown is a large flat that feeds, slightly off axis, into a conventional parabolic mirror ( usually a very long focus one ) which has it's focus inside the building. Usually used for Solar work ( when the mirrors do not necessarily need coating ) but if all surfaces are aluminised then also useable for night-time observations.

Nigel

post-27451-0-99999600-1383735552.jpg

This is only a part of the telescope. The mirror shown is a large flat that feeds, slightly off axis, into a conventional parabolic mirror ( usually a very long focus one ) which has it's focus inside the building. Usually used for Solar work ( when the mirrors do not necessarily need coating ) but if all surfaces are aluminised then also useable for night-time observations.

Nigel

This is the main one that baffles me. Its a mirror mounted to a wall. 

sorry, don't have one, I found these photos and notes on my personal machine. I'm sure if you Google Herschelian window telescope, something will come up. Look at the image search.

Easily done (in  case you didn't know) you can upload the image into Google (image) search and it will search in "reverse" - ie it will find you a page the image came from!

And the result: link

I shall enjoy reading more about this contraption :smiley:

Easily done (in  case you didn't know) you can upload the image into Google (image) search and it will search in "reverse" - ie it will find you a page the image came from!

And the result: link

I shall enjoy reading more about this contraption :smiley:

Perfect, this is the page. Thanks!

Archived