Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Observing Session 04/01/06

Session: 1930 - 2200

Temp: 0 dropping to -3

Hum: Down to 98%

Conditions: Slight mist in the air, seeing 7/10

I had roughly collimated the mirror over the weekend after having the mirror out, tweak needed tonight - 2 minutes and back in business!

Concentrated on M42 as I have a review of the UHC-S filter to write. Wow! Does that make a difference [Read the upcoming review.....]

No chance to image as the camera is winging it's way northward for further modification. Typical, eh?!

Moved onto general sweeping after this (I did not plan the sessions as the forecasts were showing cloud all day - stoopid forecasters!), and then tried again to get the Crab M1. This still eludes me at the moment!!!

Saw a small meteor at 9:27 at the top of Canis Major moving just into Gemini - can anybody verify this? I'll log it into the map anyway, but if anyelse did see, please shout!

Finally onto Saturn. Had a quick peek earlier while it still quite low, but at the higher altitude and a lower mag (100x) it was fantastic. Nice and crisp with Titan, Dione and Rhea clearly showing.

And to cap off a great session, the secondary dew zapper mod worked a treat. The finder and EP's dewed up and started to ice over, but the secondary was clear as crystal!!!

Woohoo!!! :clouds2:

Daz

Glad the mod worked.

It's always nice to get a bonus night. The sky cleared for an hour yesterday and I had had the presence of mind to put the scope out early to cool down on the off-chance.

Metcheck said it would be clear for a short time last night and so I have to say they were right :shock:

Sorry I didn't see the meteor. I was viewing from a part of the Garden where the houses (and next doors security light is blocked) so my view towards Gemini was non-existent.

Only another week until another gap in the clouds :clouds2:

Cheers

Ian

Nice report. However, it is unlikely that anyone else saw the same meteor in the same position. Meteors happen close enough to the earth that moving 10 miles will make a difference to where it is seen, and a hundred miles away it may not be seen at all. I believe the height of most meteors is about 65km, but it may be more than this, I haven't looked it up recently.

I can assure you the meteors I didn't see on Tuesday night were not seen by anyone else in the area. We believe you about your meteor, too.

I can assure you the meteors I didn't see on Tuesday night were not seen by anyone else in the area. We believe you about your meteor, too.

Thanks for the re-assurance Warthog!! :clouds2:

Ian - Yep same here. Metcheck has nice cloudy icons all over the place :clouds2:

Concentrated on M42 as I have a review of the UHC-S filter to write. Wow! Does that make a difference [Read the upcoming review.....]

No chance to image as the camera is winging it's way northward for further modification. Typical, eh?!

Mine came today, what make did you get Daz? Do they do a cloud filter as well?

And don't worry about M1, once you've found it you'll wonder how you missed it. The best bet is to try and find the star its right next to (Zeta Tauri).

I havn't used either in anger yet, I found a great site though with filter recomendations on for a load of DSOs, I'll try a dig it up...

I think the general idea is to use low power with these things (and a lot of aperture if possible!!)

Archived