Stargazers Lounge Uses Cookies

Like most websites, SGL uses cookies in order to deliver a secure, personalised service, to provide social media functions and to analyse our traffic. Continued use of SGL indicates your acceptance of our cookie policy.

stargazine_ep29_banner.thumb.jpg.da7f3b163f7bd35187cb558b0346baf6.jpg

foundaplanet

First Jupiter..

I finally managed to get my first image of Jupiter after having an spc900 for what must be 2 months now.

It's from Nov 4, I used my 10" f4.8 with a 2x barlox and the stack size is about 800/1700 I think.

post-13491-0-65540500-1383722423.jpg

I stacked it with Reg 5 and then did a channel align in PS.

Really quite leased for a first go and looking forwards to doing some more. This could get very addictive... :D

Cheer for looking..

:)

ED; all tips and things welcomed..

Edited by foundaplanet
  • Like 5

Very nice first go. There is a bit of onion-ringing which is probably caused by sub-optimal setting of the gain. When I had the SPC900, I set the sensitivity in each colour channel separately using manual colour balance and gain settings chosen in such a way that the histograms of each channel ran from about 4-5 to 220-240. In that way you are using the range of the analog-to-digital converter optimally, without clipping. This is a bit fiddly, but it makes the rest of the processing easier. At these settings contrast on the screen is also good, which help with focusing.

• Like 2

That is very good for a first attempt. I don't think I would have pushed the wavelets so far, but I know it is so easy when you first start to try to get the sharpest image you can.

Yes, it does get very addictive. Be afraid...be very afraid!  :grin:

BTW: two month wait! I dream of 2 months.  :lol:               :clouds1:  :clouds2:  :clouds1:  :BangHead:

• Like 1

Excellent work, Col. I don't know anything about AP, so I'll keep quiet but the image itself is very nice and thank you for sharing it with us :smiley:

• Like 2

A nice start there. You may want to try RGB align in Regi as that works very well.

• Like 1

Pretty good image that Col, I wished the cloud had stayed away for me that night. Jupiter was just getting to a useable height when the cloud rolled in

• Like 2

Pretty good image that Col, I wished the cloud had stayed away for me that night. Jupiter was just getting to a useable height when the cloud rolled in

Pain aren't they, it was a good night but unfortunately for me it was a school night. This was taken at 25' so all in all I'm quite happy for a first time with sharpcap and and the cam..

• Like 1

Col you seem to have "foundaplanet"    that is a great first image of Jupiter, i look forward to more of your work

• Like 2

Col you seem to have "foundaplanet"    that is a great first image of Jupiter, i look forward to more of your work

:D Cheers..

• Like 1

Nice work for a first go, much better than mine.

Regards

Ben

• Like 1

Had a go at a reprocess with a stack of 184 frames and went easier on the wavelets. Also ued the RGB align toll in Registax.

This one is a little brighter but I have no idea if it is better than the first.. :laugh:  I am now hoping that a clear sky at the weekend will come our way and I get to try out some different settings and a chance to capture it higher in the sky..

post-13491-0-05009100-1383856885.jpg

• Like 2

Think it does look a tiny bit better, still think you are of to a flying start on this planetary imaging

• Like 2

Thank you Robbie and David, and David that made me laugh lots. I know what you mean I was exactly the same with my first dso's..:)

Think it does look a tiny bit better, still think you are of to a flying start on this planetary imaging

If you stand back about 8 foot it looks real good...:D

• Like 2