SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

Peak Star Party 2014

jamespels

• Replies 249
  • Created
  • Last Reply

ive tried time and time again to book a pitch...just not working somewhere down the line so ill just turn up on the night that isnt foggy/rain/blizzard/cloud/tornado/typhoon!

Give us a clue then, which night is that going to be? Most likely the Monday after we've left!! :-)

Has anyone heard from any of the organisers recently? It has been awfully quiet....

James does drop out of sight for long periods.  A case of real life getting in the way of astronomy, I think.  I wouldn't worry though, the event is always well run and great fun.

Maybe he has been busy trying to organise the good weather that we all asked for.

You can come and use mine no worries

Damian

The website lists free charging facilities available so should be no problem, and same as Damian, you will be welcome to share mine too Nick.

Stu

Sorry for the delay in reply :icon_redface: Thank you Damian and Stu  :icon_salut:

Last year we were kicking around ideas with Paul , to sort out observing for small groups.

Any ideas ?

I 'd like to do clusters and double stars. We do this with the scout's astronomy badges every year and it's very rewarding,

Nick.

That's one of my points Nick, I discussed some ideas with James and Paul in order to try to improve in certain areas, but have had radio silence since earlier this year. It's a shame because I'm sure there are plenty of us willing to help out.

• 2 weeks later...

Giving this a miss now and goin the SWSP 23/24/25 instead...

I'm going this year but may make it the last. I don't get many spare weekends away and would rather go somewhere with better skies, North Wales perhaps.

Giving this a miss now and goin the SWSP 23/24/25 instead...

That's a shame Calvin but you'll have to keep us posted on the skies down there.

My friend who I booked for might not be making the trip now so may be a pitch next to me. I'll let every one know as soon as I do

I don't get many spare weekends away and would rather go somewhere with better skies, North Wales perhaps.

That's my problem too Stu, I am giving PSP a miss this year and going for darker skies in Galloway in Nov. I suspect that Galloway is a bit far for you to drive to, although there is one guy, forgotten his name for the moment, who travels up from Watford.

Ian

That's my problem too Stu, I am giving PSP a miss this year and going for darker skies in Galloway in Nov. I suspect that Galloway is a bit far for you to drive to, although there is one guy, forgotten his name for the moment, who travels up from Watford.

Ian

That's a shame Ian, thought you were going.

Galloway is a bit far for me, as said, perhaps North Wales somewhere.

Hope that you'll manage, it'll be great to see you. We'll be up against the wall, as usual,

Nick.

Up against the wall Nick? Being frisked for 'illegal non Jaffa cake chocolatey contraband'? ;-)

Hi Ian and Stu,

Galloway skies are really dark. It is hard to spot Jupiter because there is so many stars to be seen!

On clear nights the Milky Way casts a shadow, we are so busy stargazing that there is no whiskey tasting sessions.

On a dark cloudy night, it is so dark that you literally cannot see your hand in front of your face. Full whiskey tasting in games room.

There is a pool table, TV and quizzes, our Scottish brethren usually win especially on pop and film questions!

I travel a meagre 400 miles to get there, is it worth it? A big YES on a clear dark night.... I normally go for 6 or 7 nights.

The owners Lesley and Ralph are very welcoming, they make the site as dark as possible and lend us cooking utensils to make Guinness bread or prepare community meals. Shared meals are a feature of both the Galloway and Cumbria star parties.

Because it is a small group 20 to 35 people it is very friendly and very knowledgable group of astronomers.

Ian, Hopefully, we will meet up in November, Stu it is definitely worth it, it will show you how good your gear really is......

Clear skies,

Cheers

Adrian

PS.... Jaffa cakes only allowed, copies will be destroyed at Reception!!

Hi Adrian,

Sorry I forgot your name. Couldn't even search for it as I am only on my phone with very poor reception in Cornwall.

I am really, really looking forward to Nov. I am going to be like a novice as I will probably struggle to spot anything amongst all the stars :-)

Ian

• 2 weeks later...

Has anyone heard from James or any of the organisers? I've emailed and written to James but had no reply - The website hasn't been updated for ages - not seen much activity on here either so I was wondering if the event is still going ahead?

Does anyone know?

Has anyone heard from James or any of the organisers? I've emailed and written to James but had no reply - The website hasn't been updated for ages - not seen much activity on here either so I was wondering if the event is still going ahead?

Does anyone know?

Hi Nigel,

I've not heard anything at all, but am assuming it is going ahead. Not sure if anyone has had any contact from them.

Stu

Archived