SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

William Optics GT81 APO Triplet

FLO

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

And matching flattener/reducer? and price?

I am looking for a 100mm APO around this spec.

Robin

Yes, we will have matching reducer/flatteners too :smiley: 

We need to see the landed price before setting a retail price but it will be competitive. Promise  :angel:

Steve 

The long dark weekend for the waiting GT102 owner.

Robin

I have added the William Optics GT102 triplet to our website, on Monday I'll update the stock photo with our own  :smiley:

You are welcome to order a GT102 today but we won't be dispatching them until Monday because I want to check them first (ensure optics are clean, adjust focuser, that kind of thing). 

The 0.8x reducer/flattener is also in stock. 

HTH, 

Steve 

william_optics_gt102_triplet.jpg

Steve is the ZS71 Flattener the same as the one with this scope?

Optically the 0.8x reducer flattener for the ZS71, GT81 and GT102 are the same but the body is machined differently for each telescope because their spacing requirements are different. 

HTH :smiley: 

Optically the 0.8x reducer flattener for the ZS71, GT81 and GT102 are the same but the body is machined differently for each telescope because their spacing requirements are different. 

Ugh, not the answer I was hoping for to be honest, such is life :)

In my experience the WO red/flats are fairly tolerant ( depending on chip size of course, bigger = less) of spacing. Compared to my Esprit & Ed80 anyway. So might be worth trying the ZS71's first, unless you have a large chip CCD, it probably will work. But I guess if you've a Tak in mind you know you'll never be happy with a compromise.

Having said that, if a Tak is financially a stretch you could look at an Esprit ;) & FLO are checking them out any now before shipping anyway . I'm certainly impressed with the optics so far, different league to the 71 for RGB at least.

Must admit though .. I'm tempted to try a GT102 for longer FL ... @ 1.8 arc/s pp with the 314's :)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

You are welcome to order a GT102 today but we won't be dispatching them until Monday because I want to check them first (ensure optics are clean, adjust focuser, that kind of thing). 

I will order one of these on Monday with the matching 0.8x reducer when I have more time as I am just going out of the door now.  Can you put one aside for me please?

Your William Optics GT102 has been checked and will be dispatched today :smiley: 

I'll confess there have been times when I feared WO had lost their way (i.e. DDG focusers) but I am very impressed with what I am currently seeing. The GT102 box has a hand-written QC sentence with the date and signature of the person responsible. And sure enough it was faultless :glasses2:  Indeed the only thing I did was remove the focuser to blacken the end of the brass focus rack. Not because it was necessary (it wasn't in the light path) but because it was an easy thing to do. 

Steve

Thanks Steve, sounds good.

Just one quick question, I ordered the WO reducer/field flattener but I also note you recommend the Hotech Flattener.  I assume that this just flattens the field and keeps the focal length the same?

Forecast is good for tomorrow, so if it arrives with the Xmas rush, it might see some use.

Robin

Ah, I think I can see why you ask. In my rush to add the GT102 to our website I listed the GT81's focal length, not the GT102's. 

The GT102's native focal length is 704mm (f6.9) which reduces to 563mm (f5.5) when used with the 0.8x reducer/flattener. 

I have corrected the typo. 

Hi,

It is a reducer/flattener I wanted, but I was trying to work out the difference and you have just answered the question.  I hadn't spotted that the focal length of the GT102 was wrong, I knew it was F/6.9 and therefore it was around 700mm fl.

Robin

Hi Steve,

GT102 arrived safe and sound this morning and it looks superb.  Just about to give it a try on some terrestrial objects.  My only grumble, and I should have read the details page as it is my fault for not noticing, it doesn't come with a case.  I can't find one on your website big enough and see that WO do a soft case, but I would prefer an aluminium one.  I have however, found one on the web that will fit so will double check the sizes and get one ordered.

Thanks for getting it shipped so quickly, I think this is going to become my portable set up.

Robin

Archived