Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

William Optics GT81 APO Triplet

FLO

The William Optics GT81 APO Triplet is back :glasses2:

This time it has new gold colour anodising (the original was red) and a non-DDG rack & pinion focuser. Optically it has the same triplet objective with an Ohara FPL53 ED element and includes the finder/guider rings that fit on top of the integral carry handle. 

The native f-ratio is f5.9 but and a 0.8x reducer is available for imaging at f4.72

Some might remember when this telescope was first released, over a year ago. We chose not to stock it because we weren't confident a manufacturer could produce a quality triplet below £1k. Over the years our cautious approach has served us well but in this instance we were wrong because, reading owner's reports here at SGL, it quickly became clear William Optics had succeeded. We then ordered as many as we could but it was a limited run of 100 so we only managed to source a handful. They sold out very quickly and owners continue to be pleased with their purchase so this time we didn't hesitate.  

In stock now for overnight delivery :smiley:

william-optics-gt81-apo-triplet%5B2%5D.jwilliam-optics-gt81-apo-triplet.jpgwilliam-optics-gt81-apo-triplet%5B3%5D.j

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Oooh, that looks yummy - the originals were fantastic and they're like hens teeth on the second hand market so it's great to these return.

And no DDG. 

William Optics have received some flack in the past for their focusers, some was deserved, but this is the company who gave us gems like the ZS66, Megrez-72, Megrez-90, FLT98, FLT110 and FLT-123. If the ZS71 and this GT81 are anything to go by then William Optics have returned to their roots and are doing what they do best. I hope they have more in the pipeline  :smiley:

And no DDG. 

William Optics have received some flack in the past for their focusers, some was deserved, but this is the company who gave us gems like the ZS66, Megrez-72, Megrez-90, FLT98, FLT110 and FLT-123. If the ZS71 and this GT81 are anything to go by then William Optics have returned to their roots and are doing what they do best. I hope they have more in the pipeline  :smiley:

I've got the GTF81 with the DDG R+P focuser - it was good but suffered from some image shift.  WO replaced it FOC with a new improved version (tighter manufacturing tolerances I understand), still DDG (which doesn't really do anything worthwhile oher than get a rough starting point for good focus), but it's a lovely bit of kit now so I'm sure this one is just as good.

Is this going to be an ongoing stock or is this just a one off delivery as looking to upgrade my equinox 80ed but not till around January time. Also would this be an upgrade compared to an equinox 80ed or on a similar par?

Cheers

Interesting.....

That's a good price and it makes things like the Altair Astro 80 seem expensive now.

Think I will stick with the Esprit 80 on back order, I just have a good feeling about it.

Any news on the next batch of Esprit's FLO?

Thanks

Looks very tempting indeed! Is WO recommending the reducer/flattener 6 for the GT81? The reducer/flattener 6 was designed specifically

for the ZS71, is it certain it will work well with the GT81?

cheers

E.

Yes, the flattener 6 was released after the GT81 but it does work well :smiley:

Ah, I see what you mean. I don't think the reducer/flattener-6 was designed 'specifically' for the ZS71 but our website did give that impression (I lazily cut/pasted the spiel). I have changed our product description to better reflect it's purpose. Sorry about that  :blush:

Feedback so far suggests the reducer/flattener 6 is a good match for the GT81 but if that changes we will edit our website again. Also, the Hotech SCA field flattener is an excellent match so I have mentioned that in the GT81 product description.  

it's all looking rosey in the world of 80mm triplets, now what about the GT102 is this something you'll be offering Steve??

I doubt we will offer the GTF102 (5-element) but we will almost certainly put the new GT102 (triplet) into stock. 

So is this the original GT81 reborn rather than the troublesome 5 element GTF81 that I had on pre order from yourselves last year?

Mel

Yes :smiley:

This is the GT81 triplet reborn with a non-DDG R&P focuser, not the 5-element GTF model (we have never stocked the 5-element models). 

Mmm tempting for those waiting for an Esprit 80. :grin:

Is it really a whole 1kg lighter than the Esprit as well?

Been very happy with my 66 & 71. So, if this is even better with proper correction it would be a winner.

It is definitely lighter but we haven't weighed it ourselves. We'll put one on the scales today or tomorrow :smiley:

Interesting.....

That's a good price and it makes things like the Altair Astro 80 seem expensive now.

Think I will stick with the Esprit 80 on back order, I just have a good feeling about it.

Any news on the next batch of Esprit's FLO?

Thanks

We are expecting a delivery of Esprit 80 this month, probably around the third week :smiley:

HTH, 

Steve 

We have just sold out of William Optics GT81  :sad2:

Unfortunately, whilst it isn't a limited run, they are in short supply. We have more on order but they are unlikely to arrive before January. 

However, we have just had another delivery of William Optics ZS71ED  B)

If you have a WO ZS71 on backorder with us you will receive it tomorrow. 

william-optics-zenithstar-zs71-ed-2013%5

• 3 weeks later...

william-optics-gt81-apo-triplet.jpg

We have more William Optics GT81 Triplet refractors arriving Mon-Tue  :smiley:

The new GT81 triplet has been well received but we do have a confession. We originally thought the earlier William Optics reducer/flattener 6 was a good match for this telescope. We were wrong (and Epicycle was right).

If you have purchased a William Optics GT81 triplet and a Reducer 6 from FLO I will be phoning you tomorrow to arrange collection and replacement of the reducer/flattener 6. The replacement will be a new reducer/lattener 6 for William Optics GT81 (due to arrive in a week or two). 

Sorry about that. 

Steve 

Archived