SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

hello

jed

hi all stargazers

My name is Jed, i live in st austell, cornwall and as of posting i am a newbie. i have just bought my first real telescope a meade etx 105 thanks to steve who by looking at this forum i assume you all know(thanks again steve proper job) i've had my scope for 2 nights now both of which were so foggy i was lucky to find outside let alone anywhere else :? so instead i've been looking thru the site which is fantastic with some superb pictures, well done to all involved. i do have a couple of questions as a newbie, i hope this is the right place to ask otherwise i'll post the questions elewhere. first being about the alt/az home postioning for the autostar, the alt i get is horizontal tube 90degs according to the dial on the fork arm but az is a bit vague as it says fully counter clockwise and then back so the fork arm is over the computer controls, can anyone tell me what numerical reading should be on what i presume is the right assention dial ?? also the tripod has a bar for setting my latitude which i've set to about 50degs tilt but does my autostar know that?? lastly does anyone know of any gatherings in this neck of the woods??

thanks to anyone in advance who takes the time to reply and happy new year to all

looking forward to my education

jed :clouds2:

• Replies 25
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Welcome Jed - Cornwall! Just down the road - I may try and organise something for the South West later in the year. Keep an eye out in the calander section for meets and Star Party's.

There's a Keilder star party coming up if your interested - a smashing bunch of blokes went on the Welsh Star Party in December. Weather was rubbish but the company - superb. :clouds2:

enjoy the forun and we look forward to your posts.

Greg

PS Follow this link for your ETX, helped me no end when I started.

http://www.weasner.com/etx/menu.html

Hi Jed,

Good to see you found us :thumbright:

A quick response to your question:

For the time being, ignore completely the dials on the ETX.  It is enough to simply rotate the tube fully anticlockwise until it stops then back about a quarter turn (from memory) until the left fork arm is over the panel. 

Then, lift the tripod and place it so the tube points North (if you can see Polaris, point it at that) then level the tube.  The more accurately you point North and level the tube, the better. 

There is no need to set the tripod bar to 50 degrees; only polar align the scope when imaging. 

You are bound to have other questions and this is a great place to post them (Just to keep things tidy, it is best to post questions in the Equipment Discussion section :clouds2:). 

And of course, please don't hesitate to contact me at work for advice :clouds2:

Steve

Welcome Jed

Glad you are enjoying the site :clouds2:

As for the weather, I'm afraid its the law. New Kit = Bad Weather. It happens to everyone I'm afraid!!!

Look forward to hearing your first light report, and feel free to ask any questions you like.

:clouds2:

Hi Jed

welcome to the site -- i'm new to this myself. I was particulalry interested in reading your messages as I also have a 105. I've had a bit of trouble with mine but I think this is most likely due to the autostar than the scope itself. What I have seen though it has been amazing and you should get a lot more out of yours as I imagine you have far less light pollution down there (I often camp in Mullion in the summer). do let me know how you get on!! I remember how exciting it was getting it out of the box for the first time.

Thanks for the warm welcome and good advice, the link was particularly usefull cheers phattire

shame I cant put my new found knowledge to use yet v cloudy but its been out today though, (cant keep my hands off it)

does "The end of my hallway" count as first light??? well fingers crossed for tonight

happy gazing and thanks again

Jed

Your welcome Jed,

Steve's round my place at the moment with an exotic scope waiting for the cloud cover to clear :clouds2:

I was lucky last night - from midnight it cleared and I managed some excellent views, so we may be lucky.

Greg

Welcome aboard, Jed! I don't know much, but that doesn't stop me from involving myself in the discussions. You'll have a great time here. Next time I'm in England, I'll have to go to Cornwall. I've never been, and I know all the words to "Pirates of Penzance."

• 1 month later...

Hi Jed

A rather belated welcome to the forum -- i've only just seen your posting. I'd be particularly interested in talking to you some more since we have the same scope. I'm in Liverpool (although spend a lot of time in your part of the world) where we have pretty badly light polluted skies. Without car at the moment, I can't leave my garden, or my neighbour's security light!) but have had some great views nonetheless. I'd be interested in comparing them. What do you find particularly rewarding to view through the scope? Have you bought any extra eyepieces or other kit yet? I look forward very much to hearing from you...

Hiya and thanks guys

yeah mullberry I've had a couple of nights out now to try and set it up prop think I've got it sussed now, after initial alignment last night my first goto was saturn (as will always be the case i think she's beautiful) and with a beep there she was front and center, unfortunately i invited the mother in law out to have a look and she promptly kicked the north leg of my tripod and so knocked it out by about fifteen mins :nono:

but it was alright, hearing her kick the bottom step going back in made up for it, clumsy cow.

I've just got a barlow for it as well so saturn looks 2xs as good, the moon when it was up was cool but with no filters yet it was v bright and hurt my eyes after too much gawping, i only have the 26mm a barlow and a second hand 10mm at the min but got my eye out for a 4/6mm and maybe something like a 40mm? mars at the min just looks like a fuzzy red spot, the great orion neb is a fav as well, not been able to get up for Jupiter yet as i got some work on but hoping maybe sunday if it clears up (the weather not the work). i must learn to research my evenings before i go out because theres nothing worse than having the scope slew thru 180 degrees to point out the Andromeda galaxy (fuzzy speck :laugh: ) to slewing back another 180 for the ghost of Jupiter (neighbours shed :laugh: ) back and forth like Wimbledon, only in the dark oh yes and I've got to get a mains pack for it too.

did my first proper recordings last night with a sketch of saturn and what I'm hoping are moons?

really enjoying it so far and can even put up with the numb fingers

would like to hear the things you view with yours and with what eps as I'm struggling a bit with the best magnification to view different things? :insects1:

clear skies to all

Jed

Archived