Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Comet Lovejoy

With Ison getting all the news,i had a look at Comet Lovejoy in the early hours of this morning and was pleasently surpised,at around mag 7 it was easily seen showing a starlike nucleus and a nice coma.

I could tell that the coma wasnt quite round giving the impression that there was signs of a tail.

It is well worth a look and it was around 35 degrees high at around 2.00.

Cheers for that Paul ;-). Did a slew to it last night using Cdc coordinates and ended up bang on what looked a bit like M13?? It seems so bright I have to make sure it actually was Lovejoy before saying I`ve seen it :laugh:

Cheers

Steve

Been looking at it the last couple of mornings in 15x 70 binos its an easy find. Yesterday at 0530 lovejoy was in the same field of view slightly to the left of the beehive cluster in cancer. Today it was further to the left and slightly higher than the beehive. In the binos its a decent size grey smudge which is unmistakible. Much easier to locate than ison which i cant find in the same binoculars.  Simply locate the beehive cluster in cancer and track left .

Also good view of Lovejoy this morning. Easy to find in binoculars east of the Beehive. In fact it was so easy to see that I had to check the star chart to make sure I wasn't looking at something else. Now I know how M Messier felt!

Got it in the refractor too (easy to see in the finder) but no sign of a tail, just a fuzzy with a brighter core. Good to view while we wait for Ison to perk up a bit.

HI All,

Lovejoy looked great in 8X60's on the early morning of the 7th south of the Beehive.

I got this image with a Canon 1100D EOS DSLR 10mp and a 300mm telephoto.The setup was piggybacked on a Helios Explorer 200 with a driven EQ 5 mount.Ex 30" ISO 1600

Although in the image the comet looks blue it appears white.

Regards Les.

post-21092-0-68573100-1384121101_thumb.j

HI All,

Lovejoy looked great in 8X60's on the early morning of the 7th south of the Beehive.

I got this image with a Canon 1100D EOS DSLR 10mp and a 300mm telephoto.The setup was piggybacked on a Helios Explorer 200 with a driven EQ 5 mount.Ex 30" ISO 1600

Although in the image the comet looks blue it appears white.

Regards Les.

Well, there you go...it gives you an indication of what it's made of ...which otherwise wouldn't detect visually. Good shot!

I am quite lucky that most of the houses are bungalows behind me and there are no trees, this gives me a very good view all around :smiley:

Well, perpendicular view of windows are better usually :D   Well, for me it's got better since the nasty neighbor moved out...THANKFULLY!!! SIGH!!!!!!!!!!!!

Well, perpendicular view of windows are better usually :D   Well, for me it's got better since the nasty neighbor moved out...THANKFULLY!!! SIGH!!!!!!!!!!!!

Any idea on why he moved :grin:  :evil:

I bet it was all that sawing, explosions, banging and drilling from your DIY :smiley:

Any idea on why he moved :grin:  :evil:

I bet it was all that sawing, explosions, banging and drilling from your DIY :smiley:

LOL -- probably we were too quiet for them...they couldn't cope with it. I'd say ..good riddance... at least some of the observing peace has been restored ...phew!!

The sky was clear this morning at 5.15am so decided to track down Comet C/2013 R1 (Lovejoy). Used the 15x70 binoculars and easily found the Comet just above Leo. Nice Coma but could not detect a tail. Could not really see it with the naked eye but it is a nice Comet to view with binoculars.

Tried to view Comets Ison and C/2012 X1 (Linear) but failed as they were lost in the twilight. Should have started with these comets or should have got up a bit earlier!!

Saw Lovejoy this morning. Wow! Thats big and bright! Thought I was seeing things when it came into view. Thought it was a bright galaxy or similar. Genuinely surprised and delighted.

Also got a lot of the 'ol fav galaxies, in Leo, VC and UM. Great morning. What a way to start a workday!

Barry

Great to read everyone's reaction to this comet! I really got a thrill in finding it and like many others had to then check the atlas to make sure there isn't a galaxy lurking out there! But then galaxies don't noticeably shift during a session..... ;)

Archived