14mm delos

faulksy

had proper first light with this last night after owning it for 1 week not bad

sky conditions not the best so very thin high cloud but got better as the night progressed,but skys were quite steady temperature around 3-4 degrees

first target m31,as you do, very nice centre core very bright, I think its the best I have seen, would be even better from my dark skie location.

next up m42 that was amazing, noticed nebula tha I have never noticed before, tried again with my 22 t4 and it was present in that as well, but the delos highlighted it, don't think I would of noticed it other wise or not so prominent.

next up m33 bit of a smudge to be honest but clearly visible, then Jupiter which showed some lovely bandings the 2 main bands and 3 above the dark bands, seeing was good by then so I cranked up the power with the 12.5 bgo and the bands were a bit better defined and the planet was more neutral in colour, I then stuck in the 9mm bgo and wow lovely belting all around and top to bottom planet was very stable with no boiling well impressed.

seen a lot of other objects wich the delos loved and was very comftable to use , but I found eye placement quite critical to avoid black outs but as I got used to it , all was well. so in all I realy loved my new delos, and look forward to some darker skies to stretch its legs some more.

Great report faulksy - clearly another brilliant Delos in the range then  :smiley:

Interesting to hear your views on the BGO's and how they compare as well. I'm really looking forward to the "Jupiter season"  :smiley:

Good write up, Mike.

You probably did it, but just to check, did you adjust the eyeguard? A few times I forgot to twist and pull it up, and had trouble with eye placement/blackouts. Usually, I have no problems at all, so surprised you had blackout issues.

Nice write up Faulksy, you did well getting to use after only one week. I must get rid of the walnut tree to the  East of my house, sometimes I can see through the branches but it gets in the way when I observe from just to the side of the house. I was not so lazy I could easliy avoid it.

I too am surprised about the kidney beaning, try the pull up eye sheild, its a lockable click stop, it will be only that, I do get the same problem on all of them if I hover over the eye-lens.

Just an aside, it would seem that Shaun could well have a faulty 9mm BGO, as I used mine last night against the 10mm Ethos and you clearly had excellent results from yours, and I saw nothing to suggest poor contrast on mine.

Alan.

Good write up, Mike.

You probably did it, but just to check, did you adjust the eyeguard? A few times I forgot to twist and pull it up, and had trouble with eye placement/blackouts. Usually, I have no problems at all, so surprised you had blackout issues.

what do you mean luke, twist it up, if you mean unfold the rubber i did that ?

Nice write up Faulksy, you did well getting to use after only one week. I must get rid of the walnut tree to the  East of my house, sometimes I can see through the branches but it gets in the way when I observe from just to the side of the house. I was not so lazy I could easliy avoid it.

I too am surprised about the kidney beaning, try the pull up eye sheild, its a lockable click stop, it will be only that, I do get the same problem on all of them if I hover over the eye-lens.

Just an aside, it would seem that Shaun could well have a faulty 9mm BGO, as I used mine last night against the 10mm Ethos and you clearly had excellent results from yours, and I saw nothing to suggest poor contrast on mine.

Alan.

alan you said the same as luke, dont get ya :grin:  :grin:

"The eyeguard housing is made of two pieces. To loosen and move it, grasp a grip ring with each hand and twist the lower grip ring to the left. When the eyeguard is sufficiently loose you can slide it up the barrel. To tighten, again grasp both grip rings and twist the lower portion of the eyeguard housing"

PDF instructions here:

http://www.televue.com/pdf/literature/Delos%20Eyepiece%20Instructions.pdf

If you haven't adjusted it, you're as bad as me  :grin:  (My other half showed me how to adjust it!)

alan you said the same as luke, dont get ya :grin:  :grin:

"The eyeguard housing is made of two pieces. To loosen and move it, grasp a grip ring with each hand and twist the lower grip ring to the left. When the eyeguard is sufficiently loose you can slide it up the barrel. To tighten, again grasp both grip rings and twist the lower portion of the eyeguard housing"

PDF instructions here:

http://www.televue.com/pdf/literature/Delos%20Eyepiece%20Instructions.pdf

If you haven't adjusted it, you're as bad as me  :grin:  (My other half showed me how to adjust it!)

how imbarasing luke, i didnt no that either will have a look in a mo. found it, seen a guide when i bought it just thought it was for idiots, should of read it then before anyone else says it, very good system bit like baaders clicklock. that would of explained the blackouts :embarrassed: . but id did notice the twist grips and when it turned i thought i was unscrewing the glass jewels. thanks for pointing that out luke and alan

I will not say the same this time. Even I didn't find the twist lock eye-guard system untill I had the 10mm for about a month or so, it makes everything so much easier. It's a dam good system and works a treat.

I can use all of them now without it up but with it up is easier.  Makes sense to leave it in the position you like it.

Alan

Cool, that makes three of us :) I would think I was the most embarrassed out of us. After months of my other half complaining about blackouts in our lovely 13mm T6 Nagler, I couldn't wait to say I had a bit of blackout with the Delos which she'd been wanting for a while...

She took the EP off me, pulled up the barrel, and it was perfect. Missus 1 Me 0. A familiar scoreline :D

had proper first light with this last night after owning it for 1 week not bad

sky conditions not the best so very thin high cloud but got better as the night progressed,but skys were quite steady temperature around 3-4 degrees

first target m31,as you do, very nice centre core very bright, I think its the best I have seen, would be even better from my dark skie location.

next up m42 that was amazing, noticed nebula tha I have never noticed before, tried again with my 22 t4 and it was present in that as well, but the delos highlighted it, don't think I would of noticed it other wise or not so prominent.

next up m33 bit of a smudge to be honest but clearly visible, then Jupiter which showed some lovely bandings the 2 main bands and 3 above the dark bands, seeing was good by then so I cranked up the power with the 12.5 bgo and the bands were a bit better defined and the planet was more neutral in colour, I then stuck in the 9mm bgo and wow lovely belting all around and top to bottom planet was very stable with no boiling well impressed.

seen a lot of other objects wich the delos loved and was very comftable to use , but I found eye placement quite critical to avoid black outs but as I got used to it , all was well. so in all I realy loved my new delos, and look forward to some darker skies to stretch its legs some more

Great report I am starting to think I have a duff BGO :grin: especially as we have the same scope

Great report I am starting to think I have a duff BGO :grin: especially as we have the same scope

sean to be honest the views were amazing could not fault the 9mm at all, very crisp views and neutral tone, maybe its my posh mirror lol

Great report and thank you for putting it together. First night I went out with the Delos found I had a similar beaning experience. Thought it strange and wracked up the eye-relief barrel thingy to maximum, since then no problems. I just leave it in that position nowadays.

I find my 8mm beans more than my 10mm, even with the eye guards up.  It makes sense though as the 8mm produces a slightly smaller exit pupil so would be more vunerable to this.  Certainly going from short eye relief ES82s to these fantastically comfortable long eye relief Delos does require your muscle memory to learn how to hold your head still a little better.  Like most things though it doesn't take much more than 10-15 minutes to get the hang of it and then you're cooking with gas.

Archived