Stargazers Lounge Uses Cookies

Like most websites, SGL uses cookies in order to deliver a secure, personalised service, to provide social media functions and to analyse our traffic. Continued use of SGL indicates your acceptance of our cookie policy.

stargazine_ep29_banner.thumb.jpg.da7f3b163f7bd35187cb558b0346baf6.jpg

inspectapart

Helios apollo for sale cheap on Fleabay

I see there are some Helios Apollo Bins on ebay. A rare event! But they are "slightly out of collimation" any one know if it`s an easy job to collimate binoculars? There are bids on them. The same seller has other Helios binoculars also needing collimation for sale. Must have bought a job lot from somewhere!!

Any thoughts?

Edited by inspectapart

They might be easily recollimated but if so why hasn't the seller had them fixed themselves. I'd be very wary of buying ....even if they are a bargain price.

They might be easily recollimated but if so why hasn't the seller had them fixed themselves. I'd be very wary of buying ....even if they are a bargain price.

i doubt this seller knows much about fixing binos. I reckon he just sells them, as he has a few for sale all with collimation problems. Must have bought them job lot.

Seconded.

i doubt this seller knows much about fixing binos. I reckon he just sells them, as he has a few for sale all with collimation problems. Must have bought them job lot.

Hmmm.  A job lot you reckon?

In that case, I suggest that they are very likely to be factory seconds. If the factory couldn't fix them (and sell them for full price) then I'd doubt an amateur could.

Personally, I wouldn't risk buying second rate astro kit.

Good kit will last and be used for a lifetime. And the stars will still be there whilst you  we save up for it :smiley:

they are already at £80 and this will no doubt rise further. you'd get a good used pair in collimation for £170-200 max. I'd buy the latter I think although in truth I'd buy neither and get a small newt. I find bins very uncomfortable.

Seconded.

Hmmm.  A job lot you reckon?

In that case, I suggest that they are very likely to be factory seconds. If the factory couldn't fix them (and sell them for full price) then I'd doubt an amateur could.

Personally, I wouldn't risk buying second rate astro kit.

Good kit will last and be used for a lifetime. And the stars will still be there whilst you  we save up for it :smiley:

You are quite right! Not worth the punt .