How do you carry your 10 or 12 inch solid tube Dob?

emadmoussa

The 10" is not particularly heavy, but rather awkward. Today I was pondering few ideas on how to facilitate carrying it safely to and from the back garden. 2 or 3 thoughts spring to mind. Velcro straps is one of them, but not first option since they don't usually support heavy weighs or grip well to smooth surfaces such as the OTA.

BTW, I have to carry it through 3 doors, into the very small kitchen and 3 steps down onto the garden patio. So seeing what's ahead of me or having a full spacial perception is a bit tricky. I think you can see the picture.

I would appreciate some thoughts on that as I'm not quite up to growing massive biceps or developing X-ray vision :)

Thanks!

• Replies 28
  • Created
  • Last Reply

One hand on each side of the tube, take to wherever and then place down, get base by handle. Very simple :).

The turning circle would be pretty wide if you put a handle on the OTA, so that's something to think about.

I lift the mount and tube separately out into the garden but I only have 1 step and some french windows to negotiate.

Would a luggage type trolley help you ?

That way at least you could be in front of the scope as you pull it behind you making sure the doors are open and the way is clear.

I lift the mount and tube separately out into the garden but I only have 1 step and some french windows to negotiate.

Would a luggage type trolley help you ?

That way at least you could be in front of the scope as you pull it behind you making sure the doors are open and the way is clear.

This is one of the thoughts, looking into it.

Why not simply take them off then - fit them once you're all set-up outside.

Understandable. The problem is for some bizarre reason whenever I remove the finder scope and put it back on it loses alignment. You can say, I'm just lazy :D I guess Telrad can momentarily come off.

Understandable. The problem is for some bizarre reason whenever I remove the finder scope and put it back on it loses alignment. You can say, I'm just lazy :D I guess Telrad can momentarily come off.

Leave the optical finder on then and take the Telrad off. I have no real problems as I just look around the tube...

This is what I mean. I usually carry it this way, but find it difficult going through doors and or seeing properly ahead of me.

Just a random thought, but telescope builders needs to invent a  two halves type Dob, not like a truss system, but one that just clips the lower and upper half together, think it could be doable and a workable system and help with car transport too, would make for an interesting  little DIY project.

Emad, just get a hacksaw, cut it in half. Sorry, could not resist. :0)

Just a random thought, but telescope builders needs to invent a  two halves type Dob, not like a truss system, but one that just clips the lower and upper half together, think it could be doable and a workable system and help with car transport too, would make for an interesting  little DIY project.

Emad, just get a hacksaw, cut it in half. Sorry, could not resist. :0)

You would have to make sure the two halves went in exactly the same place, but it could work - limited niche to fill though.

On my 10" solid tube Dob I found It best to grip the mirror end tube casting with my right (stronger) hand and 'cuddle' the upper part of the tube with my left arm. With this I negotiated stairs with two right angle corners and several doors, dodging the height limitations of the doorways. It became easier in time!

With my heavier 12" flextube I am learning to carry it in collapsed form with the same hand grip/arm approach. For a while at the start I used one hand at each side gripping the secondary tube casting but I found it put more strain on my back.

I carry the base out first then leave all the doors open and carry the tube out holding it by the two handle bits that slot into the base. I make sure the handles are oriented the right way so I can then slide the tube onto the base.

Although the tube in theory can move freely while I hold the handle bits, my body stops the tube moving much.

It's a bit difficult to explain. Hope that makes sense. I'm holding it by the same bits that it rotates from when on the mount.

On my 10" solid tube Dob I found It best to grip the mirror end tube casting with my right (stronger) hand and 'cuddle' the upper part of the tube with my left arm.

this is the way I would do it for up to a 10" scope. one reason I design my own alt bearings as I do is to provide a suitable grip. makes life a lot easier

post-17776-133877642481.jpg

post-5119-0-99517100-1364299605.jpg

i keep my scope indoors too and have to carry it out and in every session.I have 2 options.

1.I ask my wife or my oldest son to help me and we carry out the whole thing assembled in one go using the side handles on the base,i normally use one hand on the base handle and the other hand manouvres the tube as i also have telrad and right angled finder on the tube.

2.if no assistance,then I dismount the tube and carry out the base first and then the tube.Strongest arm holds the  mirror side of the tube where the tube rests on the other hand.

i can lift and carry the whole assembly of the 10" scope on my own, but it is too awkward to carry through the doors so i am better off dismounting the tube assembly.

P.S. it is a solid tube 10" i have not a flex-tube.

On my 10" solid tube Dob I found It best to grip the mirror end tube casting with my right (stronger) hand and 'cuddle' the upper part of the tube with my left arm. With this I negotiated stairs with two right angle corners and several doors, dodging the height limitations of the doorways. It became easier in time!

That's exactly how I carry the tube of my 10" when split from the base. I hold it with the focuser, Rigel and RACI finder pointing towards me, so I can be sure not to catch them on door frames etc.

OO got it right when it comes to mounts.

The SW circular based mounts get awkward at 12" and above. Bruised shins and the rest!

Provided I am not planning to sell the scopes, I have adaped the mounts by bandsawing off the circular base to be square, flush with the sides which makes it easier to stick on a sack trolley and lug around. It means that I can get the 16" through the door in one piece in a few minutes instead of taking 20 mins take component parts out and setting up.

Strong, plywood ramps can provide ease of access down steps.

this is the way I would do it for up to a 10" scope. one reason I design my own alt bearings as I do is to provide a suitable grip. makes life a lot easier

post-17776-133877642481.jpg

post-5119-0-99517100-1364299605.jpg

Those Dobsonian bases are a piece of art. Did you design them yourself, Shane?

#UPDATE!

Last night I came across a folding trolley. I'm thinking, take the base out first as usual, then just shove the tube on the trolley (padded with cushions and secured to  with bungee ties). I'll have a rehearsal today and also see if I can build a ramp to overcome the 3 steps from the backdoor and garden patio.

In fact, this method might develop into transporting the whole set-up (base/tube) in one go. Fingers crossed...

Archived