Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

What do you find easier to see: M101 or M33 ?

Crebles

I've been amazed by posts from people saying they can't see M33 readily, yet often (not always) people report seeing M101 more easily.

For me its the other way round. M101 is my nemesis, but M33 is always there.

What do you find easiest visually?

(Any ideas on why are welcome - have I just read selected posts and come to the wrong conclusion?; are we looking in wrong place; is there a big difference in viewing related to height in sky and season, scopes vs bins play a part etc).

I find M33 easier from home but that's because it sits above my darkest area of sky. M101 is usually in the direction of the worst LP so for me it's hard from home but with my 16" dob, I can see the cores of both.

from a dark site I could see dust lanes in M33 with a 12" scope and it was pretty easy naked eye. never really been in a good position / time for M101.

Same here. M33 is pretty easy but M101 is in the murky LP to the North. (Gloucester in my case). Do all astronomers live on the south side of their local town? Makes sense when you think about it.

I find M101 is more difficult - it is easy to 'see through' if that makes sense!  They both have low surface brightness of 14 - which need dark skies.   But the visual magnitude of M33 is 6 and M101 is 8 so that alone will make a big difference - not to sure if anyone can see M101 naked eye ?  

It took me ages to find M101 - but it's great to find it.

andrew

I'm another one who finds M33 easier than M101. 

There was a supernova in M101 in late Sumer 2011 which got to around Mag 11.7 (bright for an SN) and I can recall seeing the SN but very little of the galaxy during that period.

I find M33 easier. Either is best seen when highest in the sky, i.e. when due south - M101 rises highest (it can be seen overhead in spring), but now isn't the time of year to try for it as it's low towards the north for most of the night. M33 and M101 both show a lot of detail from a dark site - each contains a number of star clouds or HII regions with their own NGC number. I've seen all the ones in M33 but there are one or two in M101 that I haven't managed yet. The S-shape of M33 is much more easily seen than the more subtle spiral structure of M101. I've seen M33 easily with binoculars at a dark site - haven't tried M101 but it should be possible. Some claim to be able to see M33 with the naked-eye - I've never managed. Both galaxies are a pretty easy star hop. At a light-polluted site they're both very difficult or impossible due to their low surface brightness.

You can add me to the M33 is easiest section.  From home, only managed M101 a couple of times with my 10" Dob, both in the spring when it passes almost overhead.  Also from home, M33 can be glimpsed with my 70mm refractor on a transparent moonless night.

Simplest way to manually find M101 is follow the chain of stars from Alcor & Mizar, takes you close to your target..........

Post #5   " Do all astronomers live on the south side of their local town ?"   Glad I don't, I'd be in the river Thames  :grin:

Regards, Ed.

Do all astronomers live on the south side of their local town? Makes sense when you think about it.

Not me. My Northern skies are very good (only the Chilterns) but the South is the area I have the worst LP. I can overcome some of this with pre-dawn viewing though. As someone with semi restricted skies, when I seek out a particular target the time of day (well night actually) plays an important part.

well ive failed m101 numerous times, but ive just about seen the central core of m33 a few times , but even then it took a lot of patience and averted vision from a moderate l/p town. so on that basis ,gotta say m33.  I hear that away from light pollution  its quite an easy target. worth travelinbg out with a pair of bins maybe.

i can only see the core of M33 and thats about it from my back garden (LP from street lights).whilst all northern part is blocked by house and LP from city.I live on outer south side of the city.But i am looking forward to the trips to the dark site i managed to locate just 25miles away according to LP charts and should give me 360deg free views and lovely 5.5mag skies.Milky way should be visible with naked eyes :D

• 2 weeks later...

I live at a very dark site. M33 is easier in a sense. I can straightforwardly see it in a little 50mm finderscope. (I cannot see it naked eye, personally, though I believe some can do so.) However, moving from finder to 20 inch I have to say I'm disappointed. It becomes bigger, obviously, but remains 'soft.' Nothing much happens.

Now M101's nucleus can be 'sensed' in th 50mm finder. I know it's true because when I 'sense' it and go to the main scope it's bang in the middle. However, when it is high in the sky M101 is far from disappointing. Spiral structure shows pretty well and, best of all, the bright patches at the ends of two spiral arms really pop at a great distance from the core.

So my take is: M33 easier to detect but far harder to see well enough for real excitement to set in. M101 is harder at first but more exciting once you get your eye in.

Olly

Thanks Olly, that all fits a treat. Makes sense. The benefits of experience. I'm only in my first year of observing and looking forward to M101 being higher (now I actually know where to find it!).

with my binocular , of course M33 is not that difficult . it looks like a bright glow , sorrounded by four stars in a rhombus shape ( if u see it carefully again ) . well i have not tried to see M101 after i got my bin ( before that i only had naked eye ) . will look for it , around new moon .  but , for my location ( 20.1 degree north latitude ) , i have to wait little bit to see it with max altitude .

instrument celestron skymaster 15x70 bin

Archived