548140465_Animationchallenge.jpg.32379dfa6f3bf4bba537689690df680e.jpg

first look at jupiter

wayneh

Hi all got me scope out last night to have me first look at jupiter and have to say WOW!!! seen at least 2 moons possibly 3 and the GRS , my only thing is i need a better small ep i have the 10 that came with it but was not to happy with the out come. And on another note in need to put some warm clothes on lol. Roll on next clear sky

• Like 1

First sight of Jupiter is a right wow moment

It certainly is. A moment that will not be forgotten for a long time, particularly when you stop and consider what you are actually looking at.

Wayne - I have the same scope and I share your feelings about the 10mm EP. I replaced mine quite quickly with an 8mm BST and it was a noticeable improvement in image quality.

Gareth

• Like 1

I have the same scope as well and also bought thel 8mm BST ... And I also splashed out on a 6mm William Optics. Both are super EPs and certainly better than the SW 10mm. But you know, for me I still struggle to see much detail on Jupiter: earlier this week I could make out the two bands but little else, certainly not the great red spot sadly. Quite disappointing really.

• Like 1

Planetary viewing is affected by the seeing conditions. If the atmosphere is unsteady then Jupiter will shimmer and it can be difficult to make out finer details. You may have to observe for some time and just get a few seconds of steady seeing. 

When conditions are more favourable you should be able to enjoy longer periods where you can make out the detail. Stick with it!

thanks for that lads just had a look at the  6mm William Optics ep and it sounds good and not a bad price as well, was out again last night to but went out at 4 is it me or do thing look better that time of the night. Jupiter was a sight to behold seen 4 moons but like said the more i looked at it the more thing just stood out. Think next year i will have to get a motor for the scope. all in all a great morning was had

• Like 1

Jupiter is a fantastic (the best in my opinion) planet to observe, it is so dynamic. Saturn is a WOW moment in any astronomers life when first spotted. Jupiter just has so much more to offer.

Have to agree with this, Jupiter always has something to offer.

I have the same scope as well and also bought thel 8mm BST ... And I also splashed out on a 6mm William Optics. Both are super EPs and certainly better than the SW 10mm. But you know, for me I still struggle to see much detail on Jupiter: earlier this week I could make out the two bands but little else, certainly not the great red spot sadly. Quite disappointing really.

You have to wait for those moments and nights for the atmosphere to let up enough. I've probably seen  Jupiter about 10 times now, but only recently did I have it on a good night high up in the sky, the extra detail was staggering compared to most of the average nights when it was only say 20 - 30 degrees above the horizon.  You can have the best eyepieces  in the world but you cannot beat the sky with it. I even put in my 6mm SW UWA, a cheap eyepiece but an eyepiece I am very font of, I almost thought of selling it one point when I had my smaller Dob, but in the 10 inch it makes for good planetary views, very little stray light compared to a BST and a nice 66 degrees to boot that holds up rather well off axis too when viewing planets, whilst not as contrasty and crisp, even in that eyepiece Jupiter looked spectacular that night revealing all that extra detail I had not seen before.

Edited by AlexB67

The last time I had chance to get the scope out was Wednesday, I only had about 30 mins until the cloud blocked my view of Jupiter. I did manage to make out two bands and three moons even with the stock 10mm EP but it still amazes me every time.

I am quite new at this but I do know a bit about space/telescopes and so on.

My guess is you own a astromaster? Many people think the smaller the mm on a eyepiece the better the picture, in some ways this is true, in other ways its not.

But my recommendation is the Eyepiece and filter set, 150$, worth every penny.

5 eyepieces + a 2x barlow, which multiplies magnification by 2!

and it comes with, some good eyepieces and filters that bring out the planets features like the moon filter takes glare away from the eyepiece to see the moon in full detail.

If you take the eyepieces and create different combinations with the 2x barlow and different eyepieces you will get some impressive outcomes, I've heard that 32mm with the 2x barlow gives amazing views of the nebulae and clusters.

I don't own this, but I have heard many good things about the bundle, and you can add stuff you already have to this bundle, due to the extra space inside the case it comes with.

And if you want to increase your observation, you can take on astrophotography, but this reply has went off topic, I can give you a link to the set of eyepieces and filters.

http://www.telescope.com/catalog/product.jsp?productId=5631&utm_source=channeladvisor&utm_medium=cse&utm_campaign=Channel%2Badvisor&CA_6C15C=349130628

That website is where I plan to buy mine, It tells what you get with it way better than I could.

I had my first sight of Jupiter on Monday about midnight. My thoughts were similar to Wayne's. Firstly "WOW". Secondly, "need a better eyepiece" (also using the standard SW supplied 10mm). Will definitely be upgrading soon based on the wealth of advice on this forum, but the comments on atmosphere / seeing conditions have struck a chord. Is it worth investigating the filter option for Jupiter on the basis that a good filter would improve things with the stock 10mm and could be useful on a future upgraded eyepiece???

Paul

Glad you enjoyed it, Saturn is another Jewel when it comes around again :smiley:

sounds like a skywatcher UHC filter is the next thing i will be getting :-)

Just my 2 cents, but I would consider buying a better 10mm eyepiece replacement first.  The 8m BST is a good one and will be an appreciable upgrade in visual quality.  In terms of outright sharpness on axis there is not much in it if any in my experience, but the whole image will appear more vivid, better contrast and that will enhance details and is easier/more comfortable on the eye. While of course a UHC is nice addition, they'll cost about the same as the 8mm BST.  As an initial investment this would be used more than a filter as a first addon I feel, at least that's what I'd be inclined to do as a first upgrade. 

In your Dob it the 8mm BST will not just enhance Jupiter, but everything else too, a bit more FOV as well, but each to their own. If set on a UHC get one, it is fair to say a 10mm is a better than nothing, and adding a UHC will be a new addon, whereas a 8mm BST would function more as a replacement

BUT

the stock 10mm is not that good in my view, and for not much money an eyepiece like the BST will improve things noticeably.  It may be worth researching a bit about filters before making a plunge.

Good luck :)

Edited by AlexB67
  • Like 3

Supposed to be in bed, the kids will have me up at some ungodly hour...

But just got my first sight of Jupiter through the scope too.  Awe inspiring to see it for real.  I was able to make out Ganymede, Io and Callisto too, I think Europa is hidden just now (?).  Watching for a while I could clearly make out the two main red bands.  This is with the stock 10mm EP, the view with 2* barlow added was OK but didn't show any more.

Then for a bonus I got a nice view of the Orion nebula, I think I made out the Trapezium stars although I'm not absolutely sure that's what I was looking at.

Amazing :grin: