Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Ring nebular, what's all that about

Paulhenry85

Have experienced something similar, though not disappearing. The other night I was getting a clearer circle with averted vision. I even sensed the middle but I think that was my imagination. Looked back straight at it and it wasn't so clear.

Yes I'd never noticed it before with the ring, so it was a bit odd/different. I wasn't imagining the difference though, maybe it wasn't a very good night, who knows. The blinking nebulas's not the same, that does nearly vanish.

tdmodels was spot on with the link to the Wikipedia article.

It is all down to the biology of the eyes. Specifically the layout of the different types of receptor cells... and if you get it wrong, the blind spot.

I am always amazed at how the brain fills in the blind spot...it just doesn't work for small objects though...they disappear completely!

Sounds a bit odd as I can look at it directly with a smaller scope and see the ring fairly obviously, a 200P should collect a lot more light so no need of averted vision.

How are your eye's ?

I'm booked in for an eye test on Thursday, I'll know for sure then.

:eek: 

I'm booked in for an eye test on Thursday, I'll know for sure then.

I hope your eyes are in better shape than mine were, when I was scheduled to have my eyes tested some months back. I was told to stop driving and had my licence subsequently suspended by the DVLA because I could not meet the required standards   :eek:

I hope your eyes are in better shape than mine were, when I was scheduled to have my eyes tested some months back. I was told to stop driving and had my licence subsequently suspended by the DVLA because I could not meet the required standards   :eek:

sorry to read this John, but my curiousity has gotten the better of me. How does this affect yous viewing? can it be compensated for using the focuser? please ignor this post if i'm being too personal

Scott

sorry to read this John, but my curiousity has gotten the better of me. How does this affect yous viewing? can it be compensated for using the focuser? please ignor this post if i'm being too personal

Scott

Thank you Scott, no problem, the answer to your question is not very well, the scope has not been used for some considerable time in preference to my bins, even those show stars as fuzzy multiple points of light. I am afraid I left things too long over the years, as my eyesight deteriorated, its the age thing I am afraid. The upside is, I am now scheduled for cataract operations at the Hospital, hopefully, soon after Santa comes down the chimney :)

My father had the cataract operation and the improvement was huge. Clear vision instead looking through misty windows... especially with bright things.... so hopefully the stars will look as they should.

Good luck for the operation.

I saw the Ring Nebular through my 150P reflector the other night, it was a bit of a fuzzy night but it was there in the 10mm and averted vision didn't really make it much better than looking directly at it.  It largely depends which direction I observe in, South is the worst for me as the main road and rest of the village is over there.

Archived