Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Explore scientific 82 degree 14mm

Paulb3098

Hi,

Just received my new ES 14mm from Agena AstroProducts. Quick delivery, only 14 days, and even with import tax cost £94 which is a big saving on the Euro price. Got to say the most impressive box I've ever seen. Just need a clear night.

post-7259-0-32199500-1383321053_thumb.jp

Hi Paul,

I notice from your signature that you have very similar gear to me.

200P dob / Maxvision 24mm & 16mm / 2x barlow / revelation 15x70 binoculars

I currently use the 16mm barlowed to give 150x magnification.

Plus 12mm and 9mm Plossl's to give 200x and 270x magnification.

I will need to replace the plossls at some time, when the funds allow.

How does the 4.7mm 82-degree stack up against the Barlowed 16mm ?

I found that the 16mm was near the end of it's performance limits at 150x (or the performance limit of the scope)

Would you recommend the 4.7mm MaxVision when I need a wide view / high magnification eyepiece around 5mm (240x)

Cheers

Hi,

I like the 4.7 It gives great views, especially on Jupiter when the seeing is good but I tend to use the 8.8 far more. I would recommend it but if I had to choose between the two I'd go for the 8.8mm and use a Barlow.

Thanks, 

I need clear skies to test out the 9mm Plossl at 2x and get a feel for the scopes capabilities when the conditions are good.

Now that I have experienced 68 degree EP's, the limited 52 degree view is killing the enjoyment a little.

I don't want to go for a 60o 5mm BST if it is likely to be struggling at full 240x magnification.

I can't justify TeleVue prices at the moment.

So the upgrade to the barlowed 8.8mm seems like a sensible option.

24mm = 50x / 2x16mm = 150x / 2x8.8mm = 260x

Archived