Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

UFO's

Guest telescope4u

it was Percival Lowell (active around 1870 - 1900) who put most of his time an wealth into the Mars Canals. Unfortunately he mis translated, an Italian astronomer, who discovered canali (channels) in the surface. Lovell took this literalily and surmised that the people who built the Canals must be an intelligent population of 'Martians'.

The shame is, that aside, he had an exceptional career but it's the canals he is remembered for.

• Replies 155
  • Created
  • Last Reply

i think there has to be something else out there?the universe is such a vast place, even if it was just germs,surely we cant be the only living things? :clouds2:

I'm sure there is life out there, but I'm quite surer that it has had no more luck overcoming the restrictions against FTL travel than we have. I don't expect to see it, ever, and I'm sure it isn't buzzing the swamps at Flatbush after taking all that time to get here.

is there another way of travelling through space, other than different fuels or sail power, or is it just wishfull thinking, im a big star trek fan, but know its just sci fi after all??

some people think if there is life out there to leave it alone, you never know they might be a bit testy,others think we should try and make contact, i myself am unsure, i suppose it would depend on any information or facts about them if available, if not well back to unsure, what do you think?

Do you not think it just a wee bit odd that all our best technological advancements

have happened in the last 100 years.

I mean we as humans have been going for thousands of years so why just in the last

century have we came so far?

I reckon we have been here before and at this level of technology but we destroyed

our selves its in our nature. (Oh and all the evidence that would back up my theory)

I was watching a bit of Fred Dibnah tonight (Yes I know, I'm cool :clouds2: ) and it made me think about how under-rated things like the development of steam are, the amount of power steam brought to this country is unbelievable and arguably, without steam you wouldn't have had automated silk weaving machines which would have meant you wouldn't have had computers because silk weaving machines were the first type of machines that could be programmed via punch cards to dictate the pattern to be weaved... amazing!

I agree WH the distances are so vast that no species has been able to over come them, I think its very likely there are many pockets of intelligent life in the galaxy all isolated from each other.

It has sometimes occurred to me that besides being isolated by physics, we may be on the evolutionary fast track, and we could in fact be one of the most advanced civilizations in the universe. Sobering thought, but it would help explain the great silence that has greeted SETI's listening ears.

In two and a half million years, maybe some budding civilization in the Andromeda Galaxy will manage to decode the faint signals of "I Love Lucy", or worse, "I Married Joan" broadcasts from the 50s, and wonder what the hell we were doing. By then humans may be just a memory in the fossil record on Earth.

Another sobering thought from a documentary a few years ago - what if all life on Earth were extinguished? Who would miss us? All life on Earth gone forever? Big deal! The Earth would have time to regroup, and in three or four billion years produce new plants and animals, and perhaps intelligence, and SkyGuy's theory would come true, on a grander scale. By that time, the continents would have slipped down into the subduction zones, and new ones arisen. The record of us would be wiped clean.

Something to ponder.

If you think WH, Seti has only been searching since the 60's , if there is a civilisation out there that's advanced as us and uses similar equipment they would have to be with at least 50 LY's distance from earth, which isn't that far when you consider the potential size of the universe.

Also there may be a different form of communication that we have no discovered yet. Some sub section of the spectrum.

Well, that's a little backwards, t. If a civilization out there is to hear us, it would have to be within 100 light-years, because we have been broadcasting for that long. For us to hear a distant civilization, it must be only within as many light-years as the years since it started broadcasting. It is conceivable (unlikely, IMO, but conceivable) that there are civilizations out there that started broadcasting millions of years ago, and are within millions of light years from us. Tricky to pick up, but who knows?

Archived