Stargazers Lounge Uses Cookies

Like most websites, SGL uses cookies in order to deliver a secure, personalised service, to provide social media functions and to analyse our traffic. Continued use of SGL indicates your acceptance of our cookie policy.

sgl_imaging_challenge_banner_solar_25_winners.thumb.jpg.fe4e711c64054f3c9486c752d0bcd6f2.jpg

mojorisen279

Good CCD for an AP beginner?

Over here in the UK many people start off with an Atik 314L+. It has the legendary 285 Sony sensor and is a decent price second hand.

• Like 1

Hi,

The G3 has very large pixels,  I think that they are about 8.3 microns. Although large pixels in theory are good for a wide dynamic range, to image effectively with this camera it probably requires about 750 mm ~ 1000 mm of focal length. With a short wide field scope you'd be imaging @ about 4 arcsec//pix and over which is not ideal it also has a very small sensor 6.5 X 4.8 mm which really restricts your FOV and the type of target you can image, the cooling is also restricted to -10c below ambient which indictaes that dark frames will be required. The price is very attractive though but in all I think that this camera is more suited for guiding rather than serious DSO imaging. As for your original question, with regret there is no such thing as a beginners CCD. The price alone prohibits availabilty. But as for an entery level camera the Atik 314L+ seems to lead the field. you also have to give some thought to wether you want to image in mono or osc as this has a bearing on your choices.

Regards,

A.G

These webcam based CCD cameras are effectively hybrid planetary fast frame/deep sky devices. Whether, on the deep sky, you might not be better off with a DSLR is questionable. I love CCD but not with a tiny chip like this. Like the others I'd be looking for an Atik 314L which is effectively how I started (with an earlier version.)

Olly

http://ollypenrice.smugmug.com/Photography/Widefield-images-including/9131296_ijREH#!i=753146766&k=7Q5WN

Hi,

The G3 has very large pixels, I think that they are about 8.3 microns. Although large pixels in theory are good for a wide dynamic range, to image effectively with this camera it probably requires about 750 mm ~ 1000 mm of focal length. With a short wide field scope you'd be imaging @ about 4 arcsec//pix and over which is not ideal it also has a very small sensor 6.5 X 4.8 mm which really restricts your FOV and the type of target you can image, the cooling is also restricted to -10c below ambient which indictaes that dark frames will be required. The price is very attractive though but in all I think that this camera is more suited for guiding rather than serious DSO imaging. As for your original question, with regret there is no such thing as a beginners CCD. The price alone prohibits availabilty. But as for an entery level camera the Atik 314L+ seems to lead the field. you also have to give some thought to wether you want to image in mono or osc as this has a bearing on your choices.

Regards,

A.G

What is OSC? What would you recommend? Monochrome or OSC?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

What is OSC? What would you recommend? Monochrome or OSC?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hi,

One Shot Colour as against a Mono camera,  I have an ATIK 314L+ Mono an ATIK 428 EX osc and ATIK 16IC Mono plus a Baader modded Canon 1000d. The 16 IC has the same size sensor as the G3 so I know how limiting it is to image with even with an FL of 350mm but is good for galaxies with an FL of 900mm. I would follow Olly's advice and use a DSLR for now, if you have one that is, to begin  with and then start saving for a decent Cooled CCD that would match your imaging scope and the type of target you'd wish to image. If you have the budget for a CCD now you need to consider the scope and the targets you want to go for as these will dictate the size of the sensor and the price. The ATIK 460 EX Mono seems to tick a lot of boxes for the seious imagers at the moment.

Regards,

A.G

Think carefully about One Shot Colour or Mono. However, my take is...

OSC is not faster. I believe it is slower both from theory and experience but the very knowledgeable Steve Richards doesn't agree. That's imaging for you!

OSC is easier to capture and can be less frustrating.

OSC is not easier to post process.

Mono is more flexible since you can do narrowband in the moonlight and enhance colour images with Ha and O111 data.

OSC is cheaper by the cost of the filters and wheel since often there is no charge for the OSC version, certainly on the smaller chips.

Olly

Hi All,

I've seen the Atik 314 mentioned a lot now, certainly seems like a very sound choice.  Am I right in thinking the Atik Titan falls into the category of small-chip cameras?  I'm guessing it's less than half the price of the 314 for a good reason?  Not suitable for beginners, or just one that people would out-grow very quickly?

Hi All,

I've seen the Atik 314 mentioned a lot now, certainly seems like a very sound choice.  Am I right in thinking the Atik Titan falls into the category of small-chip cameras?  I'm guessing it's less than half the price of the 314 for a good reason?  Not suitable for beginners, or just one that people would out-grow very quickly?

Yes you are right, it has the 424 sensor which is about 25% less sensitive than the 285 of the 314 and it is quite a bit less sensitive around Ha region where all the good stuff happens. The sensor size is 4.9X 3.7mm as aginst the 9 X 6.7 mm for 314, it is also quite a bit noisier than the 285 of the 314, with a 314 @ -15c you really do not need to take dark frames if your subs are of good quality, which mine are not.

Reagrds,

A.G

• Like 1