Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Gina's Esprit 80ED Pro Unboxing and First Impressions

Gina

I don't know if this thread is dead or not, but I have just acquired a Skywatcher 80mm and a 120mm. Both are due tomorrow. I have read all through this thread and I am really worried. Although I am not new to the use of telescopes, this is my first foray into AP. I am a user of telescopes, not an expert in the internal workings of the apparatus. All I have read through this thread has me worried because: (1) if the telescopes have major problems I shall have to get Skywatcher to send me new ones; (2) if a specific spacer is needed and there are no readily available ones, I do not have the means nor the knowledge to build one, nor a local manufacturer. I have ordered a SBIG ST-8300M with filter wheel, and a SBIG STi guiding kit (no OA guiding for me, at least for now). In addition, I have ordered a Celestron CG Pro mount and tripod. The problem is that the camera, auto guider and mount are backordered and I shall not be able to test the telescopes until they arrive. So, if anyone can help me in relation to the type of spacer that I will need with the 80mm and the 120mm, I shall appreciate your help. I am a very patient person, perhaps that is why I decided to become a university professor (LOL), but if I were to face the trials that I have read here, they may be an unsurmountable problem for me, being new to AP, and not having a telescope in more then 30 years. I shall appreciate your advice.

You only need a spacer if you also bought the field flattener.

If you bought the flattener, you have to put the chip of the camera at a specific distance behind it. Often they design it, or give you adapters, to make a DSLR fit perfectly. If you have a CCD you have to make it act the same size as a DSLR. You can often buy T2 threaded adapters the right size, either individually or in combination.

This thread is not dead but with not being able to do any imaging for weeks and weeks, I haven't had any results to post.  I did have a faulty Esprit 80ED initially but Steve from FLO personally changed it and the replacement seems fine.  All Esprit 80EDs FLO sell are now individually checked out by them before dispatch :)

• 3 weeks later...

Are you happy with the stars shape Gina?

I wasn't with mine. I've purchased Esprit 100 and found that stars aren't rounded. It was exactly like on your picture above. That's typical defect for pinched optics. I've changed for another one and it has same issue. I was very disappointed with this scope. I' af raid yours one has same issue. I couldn't live with it and swap for WO FLT 98.

Regards

Marek

Was yours the quad lens?

• 4 months later...

I haven't had a chance to use it much and now it's galaxy season I'm using my MN190 on the rare occasions we get the odd hour of clear night sky.  I'm sorry but I'm afraid I have nothing more to add :(  Just hoping the autumn will give us some clear night skies :D

The EQ8 is working fine with the MN190 :)

Edited by Gina

• 11 months later...

I haven't had a chance to use it much and now it's galaxy season I'm using my MN190 on the rare occasions we get the odd hour of clear night sky.  I'm sorry but I'm afraid I have nothing more to add :(  Just hoping the autumn will give us some clear night skies :D

The EQ8 is working fine with the MN190 :)

Hi Gina, I am trying to read all topic but discussion is really huge on 17 pages. I am very interested in this story and especially with your impression and experience. Main reason is that I am going to buy ESPRIT 80 for DSO Astrophotography. Can you share with us fresh info
  • Like 1

• 11 months later...

Well that was fourteen long pages....

....with no conclusion!

I have a SW Esprit 80 ED, flattener and extra dovetail (for balancing my filter wheel and CCD) in the basket at FLO. I'm just itching to pull the trigger but have yet, despite numerous excellent astrobin images, to be convinced of Skywatcher's QC... 

Anyone? FLO?

36 minutes ago, Pompey Monkey said:

I have a SW Esprit 80 ED, flattener and extra dovetail (for balancing my filter wheel and CCD) in the basket at FLO. I'm just itching to pull the trigger but have yet, despite numerous excellent astrobin images, to be convinced of Skywatcher's QC... 

Anyone? FLO?

Gina had one of the first Esprit-80 scopes to arrive in the UK, it might actually have been the first. At that time there was confusion around the correct spacing requirements (at least one store in the US was quoting the wrong distance and Sky-Watcher's importers were also confused). This thread should be read with that in mind, it is a blow-by-blow account of someone finding the correct spacing. 

We calculated the required spacing, for use with Gina's camera, then asked John (the engineer who makes our adapters) to machine a spacer/adapter. I then drove to Gina's house (wonderful dark sky!) with another Esprit-80 and the spacer/adapter. That was it. Problem solved, happy ending :smile: 

In hindsight it would have been more conclusive if we had not replaced the scope but simply left the spacer/adapter because the scope was later tested and found to be AOK. It wasn't the replacement telescope that solved the problem, it was the spacer/adapter. 

Regarding Sky-Watcher's quality control. Optically the Esprit scopes are very good indeed. Have you noticed how few issues have been reported since this thread? But we still occasionally experience minor niggling things like cosmetic blemishes in the cream powder-coating or the focuser's black anodising. And the case material is prone to shedding black fibres which can fall on the inside surface of the objective. For this reason we still check every Esprit prior to dispatch. 

HTH

Steve

• Like 1

31 minutes ago, Pompey Monkey said:

Well that was fourteen long pages....

....with no conclusion!

Anyone? FLO?

Go for it.. I have two of them. Both from FLO because... well.. they look after you don't they. Any issues I've ever had with anything from them over the years have been dealt with promptly or I've been refunded.. my choice & simples. I've been very happy with the Esprits performance and I've tried a few scopes & never found one around it's price bracket to beat it really. You'll probably find a few of my threads on here comparing scopes when I was trying to run a triple shooter. My first one has been permanently in the obsy now since I got it a very short time after Ginas. The only issue I've noticed is the rubber on the focuser knobs has perished & disintegrated into tiny bits. I found a pile of little bits on the obsy floor during one visit. Took me a while to work out what they were from! I operate it remotely so they are never touched as its motorised. My other ones been fine so far. The only scope I'd think of replacing them with would probably be a Tak now.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, FLO said:

Gina had one of the first Esprit-80 scopes to arrive in the UK, it might actually have been the first. At that time there was confusion around the correct spacing requirements (at least one store in the US was quoting the wrong distance and Sky-Watcher's importers were also confused). This thread should be read with that in mind, it is a blow-by-blow account of someone finding the correct spacing. 

We calculated the required spacing, for use with Gina's camera, then asked John (the engineer who makes our adapters) to machine a spacer/adapter. I then drove to Gina's house (wonderful dark sky!) with another Esprit-80 and the spacer/adapter. That was it. Problem solved, happy ending :smile: 

In hindsight it would have been more conclusive if we had not replaced the scope but simply left the spacer/adapter because the scope was later tested and found to be AOK. It wasn't the replacement telescope that solved the problem, it was the spacer/adapter. 

Regarding Sky-Watcher's quality control. Optically the Esprit scopes are very good indeed. Have you noticed how few issues have been reported since this thread? But we still occasionally experience minor niggling things like cosmetic blemishes in the cream powder-coating or the focuser's black anodising. And the case material is prone to shedding black fibres which can fall on the inside surface of the objective. For this reason we still check every Esprit prior to dispatch. 

HTH

Steve

Yes! :) Even more remarkably, I already have the correct spacers for my SBIG CCD/ SX FW combo! :)

6 hours ago, Sp@ce_d said:

Go for it.. I have two of them. Both from FLO because... well.. they look after you don't they. Any issues I've ever had with anything from them over the years have been dealt with promptly or I've been refunded.. my choice & simples. I've been very happy with the Esprits performance and I've tried a few scopes & never found one around it's price bracket to beat it really. You'll probably find a few of my threads on here comparing scopes when I was trying to run a triple shooter. My first one has been permanently in the obsy now since I got it a very short time after Ginas. The only issue I've noticed is the rubber on the focuser knobs has perished & disintegrated into tiny bits. I found a pile of little bits on the obsy floor during one visit. Took me a while to work out what they were from! I operate it remotely so they are never touched as its motorised. My other ones been fine so far. The only scope I'd think of replacing them with would probably be a Tak now.

That's why I'm buying new: peace of mind. You may, or may not, have seen my thread in "whole scopes" about the second hand Star 71 that I bought a couple of months ago. To my mind it's a write off. Actually, it's worse than that as I've wasted every clear night since the middle of February faffing about with it. Particularly galling as the weather was soooo bad through out autumn...

One more question: Do I need a metric or imperial ADM dovetail kit? I'm specifically thinking of the threads on the scope bracket for the low-profile screws.

Cheers! :)

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

Just noticed this thread needs a reply - sorry for the delay.

The Esprit is the best scope I've got though the MN190 comes very close :)  Superb resolution and flat field.  I can thoroughly reccommend it - especially purchased from FLO who give absolutely outstanding service :)  I hope to be trying it with the ZWO ASI1600MM-Cool USB 3.0 Mono Camera (which has a larger sensor and smaller pixels than my current Atik 460EX) in the autumn. 

I'm afraid I forget which sort of ADM dovetail I used for it.

Edited by Gina
  • Like 1

• 2 years later...

Hello to all this is my first post  , 

i was reading this thread because i am also interested in buying the Esprit 80 since this will be my first triplet using it with an Atik 460ex......and or ZWO ASI1600MM-C

Gina i see that you had success finally with a correct spacer/adapter from FLO.....if i am correct.

Can someone please tell me if this adapter is available for sale from FLO since this is the place that i am thinking to buy the scope ? and how can i acquire it ?

Many Thanks, 

Nikolas.

I love my two Esprits, but just made a few mods.

For the 80 I bought some WO tube rings and a couple of ADM Metric Losmandy bars, I then mounted the OTA and extended the base bar so that I can insert my USB hub and Windcamp Anderson Power Supply and then mounted my SW Guide Mount on top of the rings and locked my guide scope down firmly, nothing can budge and it stops any chance of Flexure.

I don't do standard stuff if I can modify to make things even better.

3 hours ago, Nikolas74 said:

Thank you John , 

do you know if the dovetail bar (mounting shoe) is removable so i can use proper tube rings and dovetail bar ?

Nikolas.

Yes, I removed mine and then used Williams optics rings so that I could mount a Losmandy mount underneath and use a SW Guide Mount on the top, it made a massive improvement, just take your time and it works perfectly.

Attached a couple of pictures, not very clear but you can see what I have done.

Hope that helps?

IMG_5604.jpg

IMG_5605.jpg

• 1 year later...

I appreciate this is a super old post. However, now in 2020, I'm on my 3rd Esprit 80 and still having issues. 

Here's the 3, from first to 3rd

image.png.480d1b4bc3b2fa9af0f5dc83974d19e7.png

The 2nd scope was a direct replacement for the 1st, however with the issues I requested a full refund. I then ordered the 3rd from FLO with the £75 test. During all this I've been touch with Es and chatting with him about it all. I even picked up the 3rd one from him directly as he lives <15miles from me. The 3rd one is close!!! I'm dropping it back to him tomorrow so he can get more in depth with it and, fingers crossed, sort it out for me. 

It's a real shame as other than these bright star issues, it's an amazing scope. Super sharp  images with perfect round stars edge to edge. But it's leaving a really bitter taste in my mouth. This is my first ever venture into AP and I paid for a top end scope to avoid these kinds of issues. 

So I'll see what next week brings but if Es can't sort it, then it's refund time and I'll never touch an SW scope again because there certainly won't be a Esprit 80 No.4!

Edited by AndyThilo

@AndyThilo  A number of people have mentioned your post to me but I don't think I know anything about it... 🤔 

Let me check please, have I got this right? You bought an Esprit-80 from another retailer. It was faulty so the retailer exchanged it for another, which was also faulty. You then returned it and purchased a third Esprit-80, this time from us, and had it Es Reid tested. You weren't happy with that one so because you live near Es you have returned it to him for further testing. Is that correct? 

Steve 

4 hours ago, FLO said:

@AndyThilo  A number of people have mentioned your post to me but I don't think I know anything about it... 🤔 

Let me check please, have I got this right? You bought an Esprit-80 from another retailer. It was faulty so the retailer exchanged it for another, which was also faulty. You then returned it and purchased a third Esprit-80, this time from us, and had it Es Reid tested. You weren't happy with that one so because you live near Es you have returned it to him for further testing. Is that correct? 

Steve 

Steve, kind of correct. I’ll PM you. Certainly nothing negative about FLO or Es! I’ve apparently just been extremely unlucky.