Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Gina's Esprit 80ED Pro Unboxing and First Impressions

Gina

Hi Gina,

Thanks for the link, I wasn't sure if it added or subtracted too.  Right think I can start ordering extension tubes now :-)

John

Glad if it helps John :)

I have taken the following off the MN190 - Atik 460EX, EFW2, 11mm T2 entension tubes, and OAG.  I added the 11mm to give me focus with the Lodestar and OAG.  Now assuming the 75mm goes from the surface of the FF, there's the SW adapter supplied to reduce to T2, OAG, 11mm extension, EFW2 and 460EX, and measuring the distance from the FF surface to the EFW2 gives 64.6mm.  Add the 13.5mm for the 460EX and I get 78.1mm which is 2mm more than wanted.  So with the OAG in I want a 9mm extension tube or without the16mm of the OAG that would be 25mm.  Need to go and see what I've got and/or what's available.

• Like 1

Found an extension tube on (cold welded to) a 54mm FW adapter which appears to measure 9mm - so now to put it all together :D

A little later...  According to my digital callipers - FF surface to FW camera side = 62.5.  Add 13.5 = 76.0mm :)  EUREKA! :) :)

• Like 2

Here's the scope, camera etc. reassembled with digital callipers showing FF to RW spacing.

post-13131-0-96935700-1383237007_thumb.j

But just when I shall get to try it heavens knows :(

Weather forecast for tonight...

post-13131-0-17172100-1383237142_thumb.p

• Like 2

Here's the scope, camera etc. reassembled with digital callipers showing FF to RW spacing.

attachicon.gifImaging setup 03.jpg

But just when I shall get to try it heavens knows :(

Weather forecast for tonight...

attachicon.gifWeather 31st October.PNG

Well if you live in a place called 'dunks well' you're as doomed as a hangie pilot called Usher!! 

That's why I live in Etoile....

Olly

Well if you live in a place called 'dunks well' you're as doomed as a hangie pilot called Usher!! 

That's why I live in Etoile....

Olly

Actually I don't live in Dunkeswell but something like 5 miles away.  That's the nearest Met Office weather station and a similar topography.  A little bit higher but similarly up in The Blackdown Hills.

My goodness Olly - a place called "Star"  - that's marvellous :D

Esprit 80ED with flattener plus OAG, EFW2 and 460EX  now mounted on 11" ADM Losmandy style dovetail ready to be attached to the EQ8.  For anyone concerned about the balance, the centre of gravity of this rig is just about dead centre of the dovetail :)

post-13131-0-91009800-1383244074_thumb.j

• Like 4

really liking the look of these, looking forward to seeing some reports of their imaging qualities. Am hoping that the focuser on these is easy to remove and that Moonlite will to an adapter so can attach my motorised focuser, if not may have to look at alternatives.

The supplied focuser is superb - it would take something wonderful to beat it :)  I haven't used the Moonlite but this new one is as good or better than the Baader SteelTrack I would say.

• Like 1

I haven't used the Moonlite but this new one is as good or better than the Baader SteelTrack I would say.

I had Baader StellTrac 3'' for a while. My Esprit 100 arrived today so I can see the diffrence. Esprit 100 has 3'' focuser. The biggest advantage over Badder is the fact this is rack&pinion as Baader is Crayford. Once attached have accesorries Baader wasn't able to hold it . Esprit one is much stronger and still very smooth. :smiley:

Very nice rig Gina i have noticed that manufactures who make scopes and flatteners dont detail what goes with what and often give conflicting measurements e.g.a simple scope flattener 20mm spacer T adapter diagram would do the job. Thankfully we have SGL..

Not just Skywatcher, I bought a William Optic scope, flattener came in a cardboard box with no info on spacing etc.

Dave

Looks brilliant Gina!!  :laugh:  :laugh:  :laugh:

I'm glad that you replaced the original dovetail to Losmandy style, looks more sturdier now!!

I wasn't keen on the stepped up dovetail one!! It didn't look right!!

Tell us how you get on!! I love to see the images!! I bet they will be awesome!! 

The supplied focuser is superb - it would take something wonderful to beat it :)  I haven't used the Moonlite but this new one is as good or better than the Baader SteelTrack I would say.

I have the fully motorised Moonlite focuser that I only bought recently so wouldn't want to go back to a manual focuser now. Get the feeling though that the moonlite wouldn't fit the Esprit, will have to email them and find out.

Cheers

Looks brilliant Gina!!  :laugh:  :laugh:  :laugh:

I'm glad that you replaced the original dovetail to Losmandy style, looks more sturdier now!!

I wasn't keen on the stepped up dovetail one!! It didn't look right!!

Tell us how you get on!! I love to see the images!! I bet they will be awesome!! 

It's certainly a lovely looking scope - pity about the weather!!  Maybe Monday night - who knows :D

I didn't replace anything - just bolted the foot onto an 11" Losmandy style dovetail.

I shall be very happy to post images as soon as I can get any :)

I have the fully motorised Moonlite focuser that I only bought recently so wouldn't want to go back to a manual focuser now. Get the feeling though that the moonlite wouldn't fit the Esprit, will have to email them and find out.

Cheers

Seems unlikely that the Moonlite would fit the Esprit - particularly if the Moonlite were  2" model and the Esprit being 2.7".  I'll be adding remote focussing to mine.  Just a bracket, stepper motor, timing pulley and belt to the small focuser knob.  That will then just plug into my Arduino controlled focus box.

• Like 1

I've been weighing the complete assembly - Esprit 80, FF, adapters, OAG with Lodestar, EFW2 with filters and 460EX on 11" Losmandy style dovetail and it comes to 6.9Kg.  Then there's the USB hub and focuser control box and all the leads to add.  I could save 540g by taking the finder scope off.  I just wonder if this is going to be too much to hang on the top of the MN190 mounting rings.  I guess I shall just have to suck it and see :D

6.9Kg that's still OK for imaging even on a EQ-5 mount Gina!!  :laugh:

Even if it's a 5 element super APO (which I can imagine the sheer robust weight of the scope having alot of glass!) with a filter wheel and CCD that's pretty good actually!!

I've managed to successfully image my Lunt 80 ED APO with a QHY 2" filter wheel and QHY9 mono CCD on a EQ-5 without any dramas of tracking and guiding problems, but I had to stick to the finder guider method. But still 7 Kg is maximum for the EQ-5 for imaging!!

It's great to hear that the Skywatcher 80mm Espirt is not too heavy, so even low budgeted EQ mounts can also be fitted!!  :laugh:

What is the focuser like on the Skywatcher 80mm Gina???

Edited by PARTY MARTY

Thanks Gina!! :laugh:

How does it cope with the OAG, filter wheel and CCD! I noticed that on my LUNT 80mm with all the weight of my imaging rig, the 2.5 focuser slips, quite annoying really especially when you capture light frames and you need to re-focus the image again between filters. The lock bolt doesn't even does any justice ethier??

Edited by PARTY MARTY

I've just put the scope on the EQ8 mount (that's just the Esprit 80) and it's just a little light for the EQ8 with just one weight hard up against the mount.  I don't expect to keep this setup though - I'm intending to load up the EQ8 with the MN190, two Evostar 80EDs and the Esprit 80 on top of the MN190.  That lot should test the EQ8 :D

• Like 1