Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Comet ISON this morning

Nice early capture. Just out of interest, did you have a go visually? I'm trying to justify setting an early morning alarm clock (had a go last week and was sorely disappointed :sad:)

No I didn't - my London skies are so LP, visual is virtually pointless - hence my camera does the business :police:  

Thanks for the image.  Just got back from looking for Ison in the telescope 5 am.  No luck - it is very close to x leo a mag 5 star this morning.  It is also too close to a very beautiful moon !  It looks lovely with ashen light but the whole area is bathed in it's glow.

andrew

I have just finished a 5am session looking at Jupiter, Mars, the Moon and ISON. The early morning skies are so good, and as Andrew stated the last quarter moon is a lovely sight. I got great views of Jupiter by now overhead, its moons give you great targets to check the EP is in exact focus and the bands were very clear. I could not see the GRS though despite trying very hard, limitations of scope and/or my eyeballs.

ISON appeared as a star. I checked I had it by using Stellarium and drawing a little chart before going out showing positions of nearby stars and their brightness. So no tail visible with my equipment, larger scopes may fair better but I was not expecting anything just yet - just taking advantage of rare clear skies and great conditions.

I have just finished a 5am session looking at Jupiter, Mars, the Moon and ISON. The early morning skies are so good, and as Andrew stated the last quarter moon is a lovely sight. I got great views of Jupiter by now overhead, its moons give you great targets to check the EP is in exact focus and the bands were very clear. I could not see the GRS though despite trying very hard, limitations of scope and/or my eyeballs.

ISON appeared as a star. I checked I had it by using Stellarium and drawing a little chart before going out showing positions of nearby stars and their brightness. So no tail visible with my equipment, larger scopes may fair better but I was not expecting anything just yet - just taking advantage of rare clear skies and great conditions.er

Thanks - should have checked the field first. Will use a high magnification when next out !

There was a transit of the GRS about 1.30  so may not have been visible a few hours later.

Great Red Spot Transit Table Sept-Dec 2013 - SkyTel Beyond the Page - SkyandTelescope.com

andrew

Archived