Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Diagonal for astrophotography?

CCD camera goes straight into the focuser, no matter which telescope type you use. Of course, if we go into specifics, you might have a focal reducer or field flatenner in front of the CCD camera and shove that into the focuser (there's also filters, OAG, filter wheel, etc) but overall, no diagonal.

The focus point on a refractor is usually quite a long way out from the focuser, because to use a refractor visually you'll need extra space for a diagonal.

So if you do not use a focal reducer (which will move the focus point in) you'll almost certainly need some way of extending the distance from the focuser to the chip.

I use a FR and a off axis guider and a filter wheel. If I didn't I would need an extension tube.

You can use a diagonal and I have in the past, as it was the only method I had to reach the focus point, but adding another optical element just meant that I lost another little bit of light and it was a potential source of misalignment / vignetting / dust bunnies etc.

Cheers

Ant

Archived