Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Cherry Springs in May, or bust!!

The Warthog

OK, once again, the Astronomical Society of Harrisburg will be holding its excellent Cherry Springs Star Party in Northern Pennsylvania, May 29 to June 1, 2007. The website is here: http://www.astrohbg.org/s4/index.php . It is more than worth a visit. Those young astronomers with good eyesight tell me the visibility is better than mag 6, and I can tell you that the Milky way down towards Sagittarius looks like a billowing cloud there.

The party is well run, has many excellent speakers, a good vendor tent and some good raffles. The food on site isn't bad, and it is an easy drive to some roadhouses and motels back towards town. The crowd is friendly, and there will be lots of chances to look through 30" dobs and other great pieces of equipment. There will be 400 to 500 astronomers on site, so there's plenty of chance to talk astronomy.

The closest airports are Buffalo and Pittsburgh, but the New York, Newark, Philadelphia, Hamilton Ontario, and Toronto airports would also be options.Travel, lodging and food in the US and Canada are quite reasonable by UK standards. Registration at the Party is cheap, and there are motels nearby you could use if you don't want to camp. If you bring your scope, you can safely leave it set up on the field near me and my American friends.

Consider this as a holiday option. It is probably cheaper than a lot of vacations you could consider, and a chance to see the northeastern US.

It would be great to attend this event WH. I would like nought better than to see and live the atmosphere of a SP that is more or less guaranteed top grade seeing conditions. Having spent some time there I would like to fly down Arizona way and visit Astroman, and get an invite to Kitt Peak. Oh man, I am starting to drool over my keyboard. I'd better cut this dream short. :rolleyes:

Any chance of some video clips of this happening WH. A big ask I know but it would be nice seeing you and some of your friends enjoying the Star Party.

Ron. :lol:

It would be great to attend this event WH. I would like nought better than to see and live the atmosphere of a SP that is more or less guaranteed top grade seeing conditions. Having spent some time there I would like to fly down Arizona way and visit Astroman, and get an invite to Kitt Peak. Oh man, I am starting to drool over my keyboard. I'd better cut this dream short. :rolleyes:

Any chance of some video clips of this happening WH. A big ask I know but it would be nice seeing you and some of your friends enjoying the Star Party.

Ron. :lol:

Me to :thumbup:

Archived