Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Hello from Miami!!

mojorisen279

Hello everyone! My name is Joey and I'm a new member to the Lounge. I'm from Miami, FL. I have loved astronomy from the first time I saw what the sky looks like when you are far from city lights(something you don't experience much when you live in Miami). I haven't really had a chance to do much observing, but after joining an amateur club I realized that what I really wanted to do was Astrophotography. I'm in the process of saving money to get the equipment needed for AP, so feel free to look at my profile to see my forum topics to offer your advice on equipment which will be much appreciated. Also, feel welcome to add me as a friend. I look forward to it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hi Joey

Nice to have you onboard and welcome to SGL, I'm also cutting my teeth in AP so my knowledge is minimal, however one bit of advice I can give is expect to pay and purchase more than you ever imagined ;)

I'm from the uk but spend a lot of time in Miami on business, every couple months in Doral, don't knowifthatsnear here your from, Miami is a big place :D

Would be awesome to hear if you know of any local astro shops as I have failed to find any.

Welcome

Rob

Sent from my GT-I9505 using Tapatalk

Hey Joey,

Welcome to this forum and most importantly to Astronomy&Astrophotography. Before you invest a lot of your hard earned money into equipment, it is best to read up on the subject. Three good choices are a) Telescopes, Eyepieces and Astrographs  b ) Introduction to Digital Astrophotography, both published by Willmann-Bell Inc in USA and c) Making Every Photon Count, available on ebay and amazon. 

You can also visit the website of several amateur astronomers and astrophotographers. I maintain a list on my own website http://sharma-astronomy.weebly.com 

Go to a telescope store near you and have a look at the equipment that fits into your budget. Try to have an experienced astrophotographer with you when you visit because depending on the size of the store, the store owners could try to sell you what they want to dispose off. Though I admit this does get you a good deal sometimes. The telescope would look moderate sized in the store, which is essentially a large room, but remember that it somehow looks "bigger" in the living room of the house. I have an 8 inch telescope on a reasonable mount, but I would trade it for a couple of smaller refractors any day because of their portability and quality (though the good ones would cost me an arm and a leg).

Since you are a member of a local club, check out the scopes owned by the club. Try to borrow them if possible and try them out. Any scope is fun to use and will show you things you'd never imagined you'd see.

Finally, astronomy is an endless journey and will teach you a lot along the way. So buckle up, have fun. :)

Welcome to SGL Joey - Good to have you onboard. There's a few of us imagers about so if there's any questions do ask, someone is bound to know the answer. If you're interested in AP, can I suggest getting hold of a copy of the book 'Making Every Photon Count'. Its in the book section of the FLO site and it's something of an imagers bible to be honest. If FLO don't ship to the US of A, then you can buy it direct from Steve Richards (Steppenwolf on this forum - He has a link in his sig) It will save you a lot of time and effort as you get to grips with what you need and why,

Also, bimble over to the imaging section and most people put their kit with the images, so you can get a feel for what is a good combo.

Look forward to seeing you around :smiley:

Archived