Stargazers Lounge Uses Cookies

Like most websites, SGL uses cookies in order to deliver a secure, personalised service, to provide social media functions and to analyse our traffic. Continued use of SGL indicates your acceptance of our cookie policy.

Welcome to Stargazers Lounge

Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to contribute to this site by submitting your own content or replying to existing content. You'll be able to customise your profile, receive reputation points as a reward for submitting content, while also communicating with other members via your own private inbox, plus much more! This message will be removed once you have signed in.

• Announcements

• Mark at Beaufort

Transit of Mercury   19/04/16

Transit of Mercury - 9th May 2016 Get prepared, check filters and read the SGL announcement thread for more info.
JB80

Comet C/2013 R1 Lovejoy 28/10

11 posts in this topic

Had a good night last night with 4 different targets and my first ever photographic comet was one of them. :D

I wasn't planning on it but as it rose above the house I figured if I aim at Procyon and to the left I might find it as I couldn't see it visually in bins or on a single sub but when I stacked it I had just got it up in the top left of picture.

At least now I know where it is so I can centre it properly and cut Procyon out if I try again.

Quite happy with that.

Taken with the 450D and dodgy 75-300mm lens at 300mm,, I forget how many but it's a heap of stacked 30 second exposures at ISO 1600, f/9.0

10538789196_be62d154ec.jpg

2 people like this

Great capture, certainly boosted hopes since it suddenly took a rise in brightness !

1 person likes this

Thanks, I'm lucky I caught it as I couldn't see it.

Hopefully it'll brighten more, not sure though, I'd love to centre it and get it out of the worst of the lens artifacts.

well done its looking quite bright and green now. did you stack on the comet or the stars?

1 person likes this

Thanks.

I stacked it first go just normally to see if I had it and then this pic is stacked using both the comet and stars setting and to be honest I'm not sure of the difference made.

I'm actually running a comet only stack now so hopefully it can find it and stack just it, I worry that it's so small and faint it doesn't register. We'll see in about 30 mins I guess.

Thanks.

I stacked it first go just normally to see if I had it and then this pic is stacked using both the comet and stars setting and to be honest I'm not sure of the difference made.

I'm actually running a comet only stack now so hopefully it can find it and stack just it, I worry that it's so small and faint it doesn't register. We'll see in about 30 mins I guess.

i have found stacking on the a bit time consuming, checking each image and marking the position but its worth it. looking forward to see the end result.

The problem I'm having is it wont actually let me select the comet it's so faint.

It will detect the stars around it but I can't select any other point.

edit: Hold the shift key and click works.

Back to work. :D

Edited by JB80

Well it worked eventually but I had to use jpegs as the raws were too dark to select the comet.

post-8383-0-17616300-1383224190_thumb.jp

1 person likes this

nice looking comet, and a nice eerie green colour for haloween!

I really want to have another shot at it with some longer exposures and hopefully I can use the RAW subs next time.

Hopefully we will all be able to image it with just a DSLR soon