Stargazers Lounge Uses Cookies

Like most websites, SGL uses cookies in order to deliver a secure, personalised service, to provide social media functions and to analyse our traffic. Continued use of SGL indicates your acceptance of our cookie policy.

sgl_imaging_challenge_banner_solar_25_winners.thumb.jpg.fe4e711c64054f3c9486c752d0bcd6f2.jpg

mojorisen279

Equatorial Mount go an AP beginner?

Hey guys. I was wondering if I could get a recommendation on a good GoTo mount for an AP beginner. I've seen some good ones from Orion, iOptron and SkyWatcher, but wanna get as much bang for my buck as I can. I'm willing to spend some money but don't want to break my bank, but also want go get something that will last. I'm planning on getting an 80mm refractor to put on it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

How many bucks are scheduled to go bang?? :)

And you may be starting with an 80mm, but what about for the future? Will that 80mm get bigger?

I saw some mounts from iOptron mounts that are in the $400 range. I was looking at an AP bundle by Orion that comes with the Orion SkyView Pro, which is $849. But if I can get a mount of comparable quality with al or most of the same features for less, I'll definitely do that.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I'll say this just in case, because the terms get confused sometimes; GoTo and AP compatible tracking are unconnected. You can have a GoTo tracking mount in Alt Az which is no good for AP. Also the presence of GoTo does not promise photographic tracking.

Other than at very short focal lengths these mounts will need autoguiding.

I'd go for the obvious choice of an HEQ5 because it has become the obvious choice for a reason...

Olly

• Like 1

I second and third the HEQ5 mount. I had one for some years and with a short focal length refractor it would buzz round all night and deliver 30 minute subs with little problem. You can't knock that for a lower end AP mount at all.