Eyepiece to complete my collection.

Hello,I am looking for a 30mm-32 mm 1 1/4 barrel eyepiece to complete my eyepiece collection.I realise that a 1 1/4 barrel with this focal length would be a plossl with a 50 degree field.

I would be using the eyepiece mostly with my 10 inch F 4.7 dobsonian.Any recommendations would be welcome.Budget would be around the £80 mark.I have seen the Meade series 400 plossl.

Martin.

May I ask what you want to achieve with a 30mm-32mm 1.25" EP? Is it both the FOV AND the magnification you want? or just need the maximum FOV as finder EP? If it's the latter, then 24mm Maxvision 68deg will meet your budget, should be a better choice than a 30mm-32mm plössl, IMHO.

I've had the 30mm Vixen NPL on loan for a while from First Light Optics and that seems a pretty nice example of the sort of thing you are looking for to me. They cost just £45 so well under your budget. The 30mm NPL has a 50 degree apparent field of view.

An alternative would be a Tele Vue 32mm plossl but they are a bit more than your budget new. You can get them used for around £60 though.

I have recently changed a televue panoptic for a 19mm panoptic.Ireally like the views it gives,but was not as keen on the 24mm.Sometime ago I had a Telecope Services 30mm plossl and enjoyed the low power brighter views for faint objects.I do prefer the 1 1/4 inch barrels.

Martin.

As a cheaper alternative to a 25mm Panoptic (and for convenience as I needed the magnification of the 32mm on my solar scope) I bought used TV plossls 32mm and 25mm - both for £60 each I think. I have not regretted my move yet - the alternative was a 24mm Panoptic which I have had previously and really enjoyed.

Moonshane,I have wondered about the 50 degree field of the Televue plossl being too narrow.Is it the case that as it is a low powered eyepiece the field is generous enough?

Archived