Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

dark areas in the south of glasgow?

bmc

hi all, i live in the southside of glasgow (shawlands). i get a decent view of the south/south east sky. every other point is either blocked or polluted with light. can anyone recommend a nice dark site southside?

many thanks  :smiley:

Hi bmc, great to see a fellow southsider on here - funnily enough my nickname is McB! :)

I'm in Cathcart myself. I've yet to get my first proper scope, and am fairly new to everything except naked-eye constellation and planet-pointing but my usual haunt is out of the city and into the fields of South Lanarkshire, specifically Thorntonhall, which I've loved since I was a kid. Still a good bit of LP but overall much darker skies than anywhere in Glasgow, of course it's a dodgy business at night, but I like T'Hall for the sheer solitude, easy access by bus for me and sentimental reasons. Plus, it's a wealthy area so there's never any trouble - i.e. wee bams hanging about! ;) I've seen other Weegies on here who go to Loch Lomond, but although it's reasonably near, I don't have access to a car at the moment, and besides, I like the bus ride. I really can't think of anywhere in Glasgow that doesn't have at least some LP, and I don't suggest venturing into Queen's Park at night!

Best of luck and clearest of skies to you my friend in whichever locale you choose!

:) Steven

hi steven, thanks for the advice. i concur with not venturing into queens park. it's not called queens park for nothing! :ph34r:

i'm the same re: no car (as yet). i've always wondered about pollock country park. do you know if it is open at night?

• 4 weeks later...

Archived