Narrowband

Nexstar+ extension lead help

allcart

I purchased an ext lead for my nexstar handset so that I could control the mount 10mtrs awat in the house. After connecting it, it seems there may be insufficient power to operate it. the screen activates but cannot load the packages or even  get to the start point in the setup. Has anyone had this problem or know of a solution. I cannot get a shorter cable as this one is only just long enough.

Where are all the electronics experts when you need them?

I am assuming there is a voltage drop or something due to the length of the extension lead. As we have active USB leads to enable us to extend usb cables, is there nothing similar you can do for this handset lead. I don't know how much power the handset needs, but maybe there is a way of boosting it.??

Anyone.

I got the cable from Astronomiser, so I would think the cable would be ok, but somethings not working. The handset works from the mount just fine, but won't completely boot up when attached to the cable. Maybe I'll give Andy a ring tomorrow.

Does the original handset lead (or a shorter one) work ok with the handset? if so it rules out the handset and the lead meaning It can only be attributed to the ext lead:-

• Length
  • Core thickness
  • Both of the above together
  • Faulty lead

Well, dissapointing result. Andy's cable does not fit the Advanced-VX mount. The connector seems to be a tiny bit shorter than the celestron connecter and will not make contact, so will not power the mount. I different connector may solve that problem but I will need to find one. The Cable that Andy uses looks about the same thickness as Celestrons, although Andy said the spec could be different. Having discussed options with andy, it seems that maybe a 10mtr extension is just a bit too far for the VX mount, unfortunately I cannot go shorter or I will be outside and too far from the computers.

I am wondering if there is another way of controlling the VX mount. I don't need the goto etc, all I need is tracking and a way of doing small position adjustments. Would a simple 4 button directional pad work ???

There are 2 auxillary connections on the mount, but there is nothing in the manual that says what they are for. There is also a dedicated autoguiding connector, so they are not for guiding.

Any thoughts.???

PS. the power cable I got from Astronomiser looks identical the ones that FLO sell, but it does not state that it will fit the VX mount. Maybe Celestron changed the connector.

I made all my own, its just 3pair telephone cable. im at 25m.

As far as im aware the celestron mounts all use an RJ11 jack and they are industry standard doesn't matter if it celestron or you telephone they can't be any different, its a standard. I already had a crimper & i  bought 50 chepo RJ11 crimp heads a reel of 3pair (6core) telephone cable and made them up for my advanced CGEM.  Works a treat.

The more i think about they have to be RJ11, other wise everytime you bought an accessory like a guide camera the supplied cable wouldn't work because one end would be RJ11 and the other would be celestrons new port, they would have to sell you a new cable or an adaptor foreach new device, and they don't sell anything like that.

Has to just be a dodgy cable, it happens

Look at the crimping head from the back (the flat side oppisite the clip). I used flat cable because the cables are already laying organised and flat. looking from left to right you are looking at pin 1 through to 6 all you need to do is make sure that the colour  you used at pin 1 is  the same at both ends

i dont know if you can see this in the photo but from left to right the colours are laid out the same so starting on the left.....

Orange - Black - Red - Green - Yellow - Blue

It doesnt matter which color goes where as long as on each plug they are the same, so in this case Red is in the pin 3 position on both plugs.

I did this for both my handset and guide camera cable and it works perfectly.

post-9689-0-66470800-1383167833_thumb.jp

When you make them up u must make sure the individual cores go right to the very tip of the plug. 

I make up a load of network cable for in work, the amount of times i've not crimped it right or a cable has jumped tracks after ive inserted or just not pushed it into the plug enough, tortures the soul.

You have a synguider, as a test use the cable you have made up between the synguider and the mount, if it doesnt work then its likley to be the cable if it does then the cable is fine and there is another issue. Its always possible that celestron have changed something but i'd bet money that it isn't the connector type.

Ok Alan will do. Thanks for the help.

I'll see if I can spot the colours on the handset and make sure they are the same at each end just in case they have changed something.

Wouldn't it be nice if this cable is wired up the same as a normal telephone extension. Would make life easy.

Sorted now :smiley: . I went to Maplins a got 12mtrs of 6 core round phone cable, (did not have flat cable) and a crimper with RJ11 connectors. Made it up at home and it works fine.

I must have had a dodgy connector on the other lead I bought.

So now I am fully remote from indoors without having to resort to taking the Ascom route.

Archived