televue nag vs delos

faulksy

• Replies 42
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Some say Delos is a little sharper, a little more contrasty, others say they cannot see any difference. Some say the Ethos gives the true Wow effect, others say the Delos does just the same. So, we've got two world class acts and I guess the ultimate decision will come down to what can be afforded and FOV. I don't own an Ethos but I find the Delos eyepieces outstanding and at the moment cannot envisage how one would better them. Nevertheless, for pure planetary work my choice would still be something like the BGOs or some other kind of classy Ortho and for general viewing, like Mike, I'd also prefer the Delos over the Ethos for the ease of that field stop.

That's interesting Qualia. I am very interested in the 10mm Delos, partly for planetary work with my C8. Currently I interact between an 11mm plossl and 9mm nagler, yet the 10mm delos will provide a magnification of 203x so ought to receive a bit more use than the 9mm. Also would be interesting for observing small planetary nebula, as someone has already mentioned. However I am currently quite crowded out at high power (recently let go of an 8mm TV plossl) and use a 13mm, 9mm and 7mm T6, which when used with the dobsonian, frames wide field views of globular and open clusters. I like the 82 degree apparent field and as has been mentioned, if you relax your eye ball and employ peripheral vision, you can take in the whole field. 

My only concern though with the slightly narrower field of the delos at high power, is when switching from wide field 2" low power ep's, creating the occurance of some slight balancing issue (with the dobsonian). I am using a televue equalizer to help correct this (intend to write a review at some point when more extensively put to use) yet the 82 degree of the naglers help with re-aligning the object.

Congratulations on the new 14mm Delos, faulksy :smiley: 

My only concern though with the slightly narrower field of the delos at high power, is when switching from wide field 2" low power ep's, creating the occurance of some slight balancing issue (with the dobsonian). I am using a televue equalizer to help correct this (intend to write a review at some point when more extensively put to use) yet the 82 degree of the naglers help with re-aligning the object.

I think the Delos eyepieces are pretty heavy - the 8mm and 6mm actually weigh a little more than the Ethos equivalents at those focal lengths, which surprised me when I found out.

I was aware that they were a bit bulkier, but had not contemplated the weight - figured that they might be a bit more like a Hyperion in this respect. Perhaps the 1.25" equalizer adapter might not apply so much with these ep's then.  

I have been using my 14mm to-night I was going mad looking through 40mm eyepieces all the time, I must stop taking things so seriously.

I really think no matter what you bought you would have been happy. I am going to get another 10mm and I may well buy the 12mm too, at that point I have run out of things to buy so I may well get the 8mm. I will still keep the Ultra wide fields though even though there is duplication at 6,8,&10.

Alan

Very nice Mike  :smiley:

For anyone who commented on the other postings of the above photo, feel free to repeat your comments as, at Mikes request, I've tidied up this thread and deleted the others which were inadvertently started.

Cheers  :smiley:

Archived