televue nag vs delos

faulksy

just been looking at the above eps, in focal lengths 10mm - 14mm I like the 82 degree naglers but what are the best, might buy one tomorrow in this sort of range , which are the better. these will also be used when I get a new scope which will be a big dob. thanks. also bare in mind what I have in my signature

• Replies 42
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Faulksy,

I have had the 10mm Delos and I have the 14mm both are absolutely excellent and I stuggle to see how they can be bettered, the 10mm is so good I am going to replace it. 

I also have the 12mm and 11mm Nagler, both are superb eyepieces but I do not believe they are as good as the Delos's. I am considering getting rid of the 12mm Nagler and getting the 12mm Delos. The T6's at 11mm and 13mm, I have had that too, are lovely and small compared to the Delos and T4 12mm. and because of this have the gab and go appeal.

Myself I would buy Delos even though I do like the wider FOV.

Alan 

I prefer my 10, 12 and 14mm Delos EP's to my 11 and 13mm T6 Naglers. That said, the Naglers are very compact and light, which I really like. I get on fine with the Naglers, but my other half struggles with them (perhaps because of the 12mm eye relief?) while she finds the Delos very comfy (20mm eye relief).

I would pick the Delos unless the T6's compact size and light weight appeals.

I haven't found a weak spot in the Delos chain of EP's, each focal length is just as good as the last but then the legendary Nagler is no slouch either!

Even though I don't wear glasses I still prefer EP's with a large eye relief and being able to see the field stop is also essential so the Delos wins, if you are swaying towards the Delos then the next question you should ask yourself if Pentax XW or Delos?? :)

I have the 12mm T4. I really like this eyepiece.

I've tried both the Ethos 13mm and Delos 12mm, and I still have no desire to change to either

The light transmission in the newer eyepieces should be better owing to their more modern coatings, I can't see any difference myself (perhaps my eyes aren't good enough). Apart from that its, pick whatever AFOV is comfy for you.

All I will say Mike is if you do buy a large Dob FOV really start to become important. The larger the scope the more tempting the Ethos. The Delos for me is not tempting for this reason. It would be a step in the wrong direction.

I echo everything that has been written above.  The Naglers (own several) are excellent EPs but the Delos (I own 4.5, 10 and 14mm) are the best I have ever used.  The slight reduction in observable field is more than made up my increased sharpness, contrast, more natural colour and next to no distortion what so ever.

Id agree with steves comment about fieldmof view. In a large dob a decent field of view with a reasonable exit pupil is a careful balance and this is where the likes of the ethos come into their own.

For glasses wearer like myself the eye relief is imporant aswell though so this rules the ethos out and points in the direction of the t4 or delos.

Ive just had this dilemma and opted for the nagler t4 22mm,17mm and 12mm and moved to the delos for 8mm and 6mm to keep a decent eye relieve but compromising abit on the fov.

I havent had a clear night though but im sure the old nags will do the job for deep sky witht the younger del boys doing the planetary and luner work for me.

cheers

All I will say Mike is if you do buy a large Dob FOV really start to become important. The larger the scope the more tempting the Ethos. The Delos for me is not tempting for this reason. It would be a step in the wrong direction.

I completely agree with you Steve and it was something I considered before ordering my current scope but considering that I don't just observe but sketch at the EP seeing that field stop is vital, I tried Ethos and it was a real PITA when sketching I recently tried a couple 82˚ ES and found that was the same. Like I said if I simply observed then I'd definitely go for the UWA's but when you eye is going from sketch pad to EP ever few seconds its really no fun!

Also at f/4.5 the coma in the 17.3mm Delos is very small compared to 82˚ EP's.

At the end of the day its all about finding something which is comfortable to you, I just think its great that we have got such a wide range of fine EP's available.

I think it is one of them choices where its heads you win & tails you win :smiley:

One of the reasons I chose the 31mm Nagler is because it has lots of eye relief and like yourself even though I don't wear glasses I still prefer a decent amount.

I have all the Delos down to 8mm and I really rate them, I would have no hesitation in recommending them to anyone, I have a sweet spot for the 17.3mm

The difference in FOV is another consideration, I personally like as much as I can get :smiley:

Some say Delos is a little sharper, a little more contrasty, others say they cannot see any difference. Some say the Ethos gives the true Wow effect, others say the Delos does just the same. So, we've got two world class acts and I guess the ultimate decision will come down to what can be afforded and FOV. I don't own an Ethos but I find the Delos eyepieces outstanding and at the moment cannot envisage how one would better them. Nevertheless, for pure planetary work my choice would still be something like the BGOs or some other kind of classy Ortho and for general viewing, like Mike, I'd also prefer the Delos over the Ethos for the ease of that field stop.

Some say Delos is a little sharper, a little more contrasty, others say they cannot see any difference. Some say the Ethos gives the true Wow effect, others say the Delos does just the same. So, we've got two world class acts and I guess the ultimate decision will come down to what can be afforded and FOV. I don't own an Ethos but I find the Delos eyepieces outstanding and at the moment cannot envisage how one would better them. Nevertheless, for pure planetary work my choice would still be something like the BGOs or some other kind of classy Ortho and for general viewing, like Mike, I'd also prefer the Delos over the Ethos for the ease of that field stop.

I like the way you started this paragraph Qualia, Its like Clarkson describing the Stig :grin:  :grin:

I moved from T6 Naglers to my current Ethos's because I did find some small improvements beyond the additional field of view and slightly more generous eye relief. None of these differences are show stoppers of course and the Naglers remain really excellent eyepieces. From the reports I've read, I believe that the Delos range deliver the same small step up but with the slightly smaller FoV and more eye relief. Tele Vue seem to have really "hit a home run" with the Delos as they are nearly 50% of the price of the Ethos.

Most of the time, I'm a wide field junkie though so I like to have a number of 100 degree eyepieces available. I don't want to see the field stop - the "endless pool of stars" is exactly the effect that I'm after  :grin:

They say the Delos appear more immersive than their 72 degree implies though so that may negate the effects of stepping to them from the 82 degree Naglers.

The difference in FOV is another consideration, I personally like as much as I can get  :smiley:

Presumably you are planning your Ethos upgrade path then  :smiley:

I don't want to see the field stop - the "endless pool of stars" is exactly the effect that I'm after  :grin:

Before I bought my Ethos I read comments like this and thought 'wow!' but after I got my Ethos I realised that although you don't see a field stop you don't get to see that whole 'endless pool of stars' in one go and that to have to kinda peer around the edges to see the whole FoV. Looking back on it now I guess I was kinda naive but maybe that was a bit of the Cornishman coming out of me!  :grin:

Before I bought my Ethos I read comments like this and thought 'wow!' but after I got my Ethos I realised that although you don't see a field stop you don't get to see that whole 'endless pool of stars' in one go and that to have to kinda peer around the edges to see the whole FoV. Looking back on it now I guess I was kinda naive but maybe that was a bit of the Cornishman coming out of me!  :grin:

I'm "aware" of the edges of the FoV with my 100 degree eyepieces in my peripheral vision so I find I can get the full effect. I don't need to move my head although I guess my eyeball may be moving around to take in the field of view.I find it a great sensation and really relaxing and enjoyable. I guess I'd used 80+ degree eyepieces for quite a few years prior to this though so I'd got used to the technique.

I know this very much varies person to person though which is why eyepiece preferences are such an individual thing. I reckon it's one of the reasons behind the Delos range too  :wink:

Earlier this year I was using the 6mm Ethos in my 12" dob to view Saturn. The conditions were good and the planet looked absolutely superb at 265x with subtle ring structure and shading showing, the Cassini Division etched like charcoal right around the rings and even glimpses of the Encke minima now and then. I put the planet right on the field stop of the Ethos and let it drift completely across the 100 degree apparent field. All the way across the fine and subtle detail remained clearly defined with just some slight variations as the atmospheric cells passed over. The planet looked just as sharp and well defined as it slipped behind the opposite field stop edge. I really don't know many other eyepieces that can do this at F/5.3 :smiley:

@ Shaun: I have tried bino viewers a couple of times but I just found they did not "do it" for me. Assuming I could afford to buy duplicates, my current eyepieces don't lend themselves to bino viewing as they are a bit on the fat side as well !

This thread is about Naglers v's Delos though so I'd better not go on about the Ethos any more  :rolleyes2:

I have the 21mm, 13mm and 8mm Ethos EPs and I find them excellent. Anyway just recently I felt I needed something between the 13mm and 8mm and thought about either the 10mm Ethos or the 10mm Delos. In the end I decided on the 10mm Delos, possibly because of the cost. What a fantastic EP and the views I obtained of the Dumbbell Nebula was perhaps the best I have ever seen. I did not mind the 72 FOV because I was viewing just one object - in fact I would say that I enjoyed the view in the 10mm Delos more than the 8mm Ethos. If you asked me why I would say that the contrast just seemed better.

In the past the best view of M13 was with a 5mm Nagler but although I would not mind another (should not have sold it!!) I think I would prefer to buy into the Delos range.

Mark

so the best thing I can do is see which are offering the best discount, I am on about the nw astro festival which I am going to in a bit

I thought you was going Yesterday :shocked:

Could you please feel how heavy binoviewers are if you should come across any, it would be most appreciated :smiley:

no problem mate,had few things to sort out yesterday, plus with it being there last day they might offer more discount lol

LOL you can take the man out of Wales, but you cant take the Welsh out of the man :grin:  :grin:

Faulksy,

Reading the advise by Luke and Mike73 back to back, they have hit the nail on the head 100%.

If I had to choose between my 10mm Delos and my 13mm Nagler T6 on a repurchase - I would

choose the Delos based on  comfy eye relief. If I then had to choose between the 10mm Delos

and the 10mm Pentax XW, I would choose the Pentax based on ease of use over a full evening.

David

Archived