Another reasonably clueless newbie

Lucy Lunar Diamond

Thanks for the lovely welcome everyone, and all the advice so far.

Ronin said, "Replace the RA/Dec adjusting bolts, the supplied ones bend and that really is trouble."

One of these bolts tends to fall off after much turning, which is a bit of a nuisance so I would like to upgrade these. Is this what I'm looking for:

http://www.365astronomy.com/skywatcher-slow-motion-cable-set-for-eq2-eq5-and-az3-mounts-p-3350.html

They are described as slow motion cables, so at the risk of this being my first silly question, will they move the scope slower than the existing knobs?

Thanks again.

ronin means the two bolts that fit into the mount on the north and south sides that allow you to change the latitude (also known as "alt") setting of the mount.

These bolts can be prone to bending under load and many people replace them with better quality bolts to prevent this.  Partly it's down to the quality of the metal used in the bolt, and partly that the design of the mount places the latitude adjustment near it's mechanical limits in the UK.

Personally I've never bothered to replace mine, but I always try to set the latitude without a telescope on the mount and with the counterweights removed.  That way there's very little stress on the bolts in the first place.  I just need a very small tweak if it's not quite perfect when I've put the counterweights and telescope on.

If you're not using a polar scope for alignment or drift aligning then you've really nothing to worry about.  Set your approximate latitude with everything off the mount and you're good to go.

James

• Replies 38
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Welcome to SGL Lucy. :)  A few more girls will be welcome to keep the males in check and get to community a bit more balanced. Far too many males around here :0)

You can't have been around the internet for long.  "Lucy" could be a bearded seventeen stone cross-dressing trucker from Halifax :D

James

Would just like to reassure "James" that I'm not a bearded seventeen stone cross-dressing trucker from Halifax!

xx

Lucy

Thank goodness for that. We can speak now. There are lots of members who are new to the site and new to astronomy. Therefore each time you ask a `noobie` question, just put on your computer speakers and you will hear 100 `oohs and aahs` as you have asked just what they wanted to ask but were just a tad embarrassed about it. Nobody will have a giggle at your expense as most of us have been there or are going through it with you. I hope you enjoy your experience.

Kind regards

Dave

Hi Lucy ,

Welcome to the group. I've found it a very friendly and relaxed and humourous group. Everyone's willing to help if you have questions. Also nice to see another Cumbrian, I'm in South Lakes too and only had my scope a few months.

Joe

Archived