Explore Scientific US import... where to turn?

Andy_E

I've been after getting my 19mm panoptic a friend recently and whilst originally planning to unite it with its 24mm cousin, recent experiences with the ES 82 range has shifted me over to the ES68 24mm.  

I know a number of people here have imported the ES range from the states, and considering the markedly lower price (even including import charges) I'm quite interested in giving it a go.

The question is, what are peoples experience with doing this? Also, which retailers would you guys recommend?

Any thoughts would be greatly appreciated,

Andy

I've had good service form Don Pensack at Eyepiecesetc.com. He was very helpful. Don't use the online form....for some labyrinthine reason (which he explained but I've forgotton) it dosen't work for exports from the USA. You need to give him your credit card details over the phone or broken up in a couple of emails.

If you have a problem with your purchase it's easier to get it sorted by ES's european division in Germany but make sure they agree first. I've had issues with a 25mm 100 degree I bought off Don. It wasn't Don's fault...

Hope this helps.

RL

My experience of getting items from the US has been fairly good, but better when the US end used FedEx. Suppose thay are simply set up better to do this and so have mechanisms in place. It just all went smoother and quicker.

When bits have come and the PO at this end have been part of the system then slower and more hassle.

May be worth asking if whoever in the US would ship via FedEx if you thought it possible.

We like Don Pensack for EPs too, especially being states-side. As for the ES 24mm 68, it's our most used EP and gives as good a view as anything we've ever looked through. Bill Paolini who recently had his EP book published did a review of maybe a dozen(?) 24mm EPs, including his own TV Panoptic. It was on the basis of this extensive review that we got the ES and we're very glad we did.

Habe ordered twice from the states-once from hi point scientific who took 2 weeks to despatch my order and secondly from agena astro who took two weeks from order to door including customs and who i would use again for sure.as stated though,the price of the 68° is quite good from es europe

Cheers for all the input guys. Going on what's been said I'm beginning to wonder if all the hassle will be worth the few quid I'll save (the thrifty northerner in me is still a little seduced though :grin:).

I think the delivery aspect works a lot better when the units are actually in stock.

Sometimes the website says there is stock when there isn't any and this causes annoyance by setting expectations because you have paid  :sad:

I think the delivery aspect works a lot better when the units are actually in stock.

Sometimes the website says there is stock when there isn't any and this causes annoyance by setting expectations because you have paid  :sad:

I've noticed this seems to be a reoccurring problem (particularly with explore EU). Do you know it's funny, over the past few years I've found the most reliable way to buy has been second hand!

It is a bit unusual as you would think companies are geared up for selling their products yet private sales are straight forward by comparison.

I have only bought 2 items from abroad and both times were seamless ( the China purchase took quite a while but this was expected)

I'm waiting for an adapter from Precise Parts in Miami.....checked the tracking after 5 days and it's been through 3 different USPS sorting centres and it's still not out of Miami....!?

Just hope it doesn't get stuck in the UK Customs/Parcelfarce loop, which appears to be a portal into some kind of parallel universe.

I've noticed this seems to be a reoccurring problem (particularly with explore EU). Do you know it's funny, over the past few years I've found the most reliable way to buy has been second hand!

I agree. I've bought and sold a few items with USA based astronomers and one in Hong Kong and the deals have gone very smoothly plus I've been ably to communicate with some other astronomers around the world too, which is nice  :smiley:

Archived