Stargazers Lounge Uses Cookies

Like most websites, SGL uses cookies in order to deliver a secure, personalised service, to provide social media functions and to analyse our traffic. Continued use of SGL indicates your acceptance of our cookie policy.

sgl_imaging_challenge_banner_globular_clusters_winners.thumb.jpg.13b743f39f721323cb5d76f07724c489.jpg

Solar_observer

Moon detail.....Which scope?

I no longer have my 8inch dob,it has gone to the brother in law as he has taken up the hobby. I'm just after a scope which would give me really good close up lunar detail. I have a few ideas but want to have the opinions of the pros. My budget is around 300. Also I want a minimum amount of eps too. So I assume it would involve 2 eps of low mm spec for the high mag I would need to view the moon in high detail. Thanks in advance.

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Tapatalk 2

I'm assuming you let the dob go because it was a bit big ? Something like this might suit  - http://www.firstlightoptics.com/evostar/skywatcher-evostar-102-eq3-2.html

It is an achro, so will show some falls colour, that you wouldn't have seen with the DOB, but at nearly f 10 not too much.

It will work with more modestly priced E.P's. :smiley:    

I'm thinking the Evostar 102mm is still big if you add a mount to it (which can't do without :D ) -- I think for the moon a smaller 5" Mak will  provide more power, but narrower field of you - which for planetary is OK.

The Nexstar 4, 5  are great for the Moon,  you should be able to get one second hand for the cash you have :smiley:

Yes the dob was a little big and with me working nights, wasn't getting much use. I use my bins more as they are better with speed as a grab and go also I can Chuck them in a car. Would the heritage 130 work well on the moon?

Yes the dob was a little big and with me working nights, wasn't getting much use. I use my bins more as they are better with speed as a grab and go also I can Chuck them in a car. Would the heritage 130 work well on the moon?

Heritage 130 is more than enough for good moon observing, and it's got a slightly wider field of view than the MaK 127 (both have similar aperture)

That could be the way to go then as nudging don't bother me and I could get maybe 2 bst ep.....5mm and 8mm?

My C11 with a 30mm XW the Moon  fills the FOV, and makes me see blotches for the next 10 minutes,,,,,,but do them craters look nice.....

Edited by Tinker1947
  • Like 1

I actually agree that the Mak 127 would be very nice on the moon. No false colour, and with a long focal length you could use long focal length eyepieces to give you better eye relief. You could also use cheaper ones as the Mak will be less demanding on them, Plossls for instance.

Alternative may be a Lyra optics 102 or Tal 100 RS but then you have a bigger problem mounting them. The Mak would sit very nicely on an Alt-Az mount

Stu

Edited by BigMakStutov

The Mak is also more convenient than the Heritage (which is also very nice) in terms of not needing much collimation. the Maks I have used (and my SCT) are fairly hassle free. I do check collimation from time to time, but cannot remember the last time I needed to tweak anything

I really don't mind collimating the scope so the heritage would be fine. It's small size appeals to me. As long as I can see REALLY good detail I don't mind what scope. But saying that setting up a tripod does my head in a little,so the heritage wins on that score. Would the 5mm get me good views? Also what even lower ep would you recommend to get me even closer? Thanks

I think the 130mm Heritage is quite forgiving as what eyepieces you put in it. So technically, if you want to stick with the stock eyepieces, they should perform OK on the moon...but with experience and having experimented with better Plossls you'll start to see the difference. 5mm is fine, and if you want to push the magnification more, I'd suggest a barlow...1.5 x or max 2x.

I wouldn't go for the achro myself. I have the 6 inch and it really isn't bad but it's a bit harsh on the lunar contrasts and does show slightly distracting colour. The view is striking but unsubtle. I'd be tempted by the Mak, too. Good on high powers and forgiving of EPs, as suggested. Also very compact. I must say that I like a driven mount for high powers, ideally an alt az.

Olly

The mak at F/12 will be much more forgiving on eyepieces than the the F/5 Newtonian, and is very compact. A 12mm Plössl will perform well, and give 10mm eye relief. To achieve the same magnification you will need a 5mm Plössl, with only 4mm eye relief, and it will tend to show astigmatism more easily. For the moon, I would think the mak has a definite edge.

• Like 1

The Heritage rarely needs collimation at 5 inch I find, compared to my 10. The focuser has enough slop anyway to override the small variations you'll get with it, to a point. Or may be I am not fine eyed enough by your lofty standards, For sure in the 10 inch I notice it quickly if it needs a tweak :)

That is one evil avatar you have there Michael. :0)

I think as it stands I'm going to opt for the heritage. At that price I could get 2 eps and still have change out of 300. Thanks for all the info guys...most appreciated.

The Heritage rarely needs collimation at 5 inch I find, compared to my 10. The focuser has enough slop anyway to override the small variations you'll get with it, to a point. Or may be I am not fine eyed enough by your lofty standards, For sure in the 10 inch I notice it quickly if it needs a tweak :)

That is one evil avatar you have there Michael. :0)

That's my Halloween sun ;)

I have not used the heritage, but the kids' mini-Dob needs frequent tweaks.

That's my Halloween sun ;)

I have not used the heritage, but the kids' mini-Dob needs frequent tweaks.

I suppose if it is like the heritage mini at f/4 would be a factor. I drove a 1000 miles round trip with the Heritage 130p, the tiniest tweak was needed upon return, and it went over some rough bumps :)

Yep I'm going to opt for the heritage. I want 2 eps, can anyone recommend any? Think it might possibly be the bst...8 and 5 maybe? And also a Barlow to get me more power but which one?

5 and 15 + a barlow

or

8mm with a barlow

Edited by emadmoussa

I'm personally using GSO 2.5x barlow and it's excellent, but I think at £35 is a bit expensive. I saw a couple before for £25 on ABS.

Also, the Skywatcher 2x is pretty good. Having said that, the stock barlow I had months ago wasn't that bad...

You'll find this one a pretty good performer at a reasonable price.

By the way, high mag standard eyepieces in the range of 5-2mm usually have a very small eye relief and from I experience I totally hated that. That's why I suggested something like the 8mm with a barlow.