Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Hello from me to all of you...

LazySumby

Hello each and all.

First,apologies for the length of this post.

I guess i should start with a little about me and my experience(which is non existent tbh)

I'm 31 and live in Folkestone,Kent. I've been into astronomy for a fair while,but have never been in the position to buy a 'scope. I did first post on here back in October,as i had the money to get myself a scope,but then my car decided that it wanted the money instead. So no 'scope.

Fast forward to Christmas and my father in law,who knows i'm saving,brought me a small refractor, a Bresser Lyra(70mm). It's not the greatest 'scope on the planet,but it'll do me until i can get the 200mm I'm saving for.

So,after waiting for clear skies,i got out last night(29/12) and had a grand old time trying to find celestial bodies. I have to be honest,the eyepieces supplied with the Lyra are absolute rubbish. Oh,and the mount isn't too clever either(an EQ 2 i think??) Anyway,i persevered and waited for Orion to rise as i wanted to look for the Orion nebula(because i already know where that one is!!!) So,after much swearing and huffing,i eventually got it in my eyepiece. Well,needless to say i was a very very happy bunny. I spent the best part of the next hour looking at it. After reading about it in 'Turn left at Orion'(an absolute gem of a book) I figured i would look deeper and find the Trapezium. I can't quite explain the joy at seeing it really,I'm sure you all know what it's like,the first time and all,but it was a great moment,for me. Now I'm on the verge of selling my soul to raise funds for the reflector i want.....I've definitely been bitten. :rolleyes:

Welcome Jon!!!

Yep, first sight of M42 is one you'll remember!!

Keep an eye out for some s/h Plossls - Meade 4000 series are bargains - they pop up regularly here, on AstroBuySell and good ol' flebay as well.

And you will LOVE the 200 when you get it!!!!

:rolleyes:

Welcome to SGL LS. I hope you enjoy being here.

The 200 will vastly improve your views of the Cosmos, and you will see more than the Trapezium In the Orion Nebula.

I like Folkestone too, I was stationed at Shornecliffe for a while, so we had some great times in Folkestone.

Cheers.

Ron. :rolleyes:

Well that's it for you then - welcome to a life of daytime tiredness and a night life only one step ahead of hypothermia. Glad you enjoyed M42, there's plenty more out there - good luck and welcome to SGL.

Sam

Thanks to all for the warm welcome. I look forward to hassling you all for advice :rolleyes:

Thanks to Daz for the advice regarding the Meade 4000 plossls. I'm going to get some with the money i got for Crimbo.

Barkis,i live a stones throw from Shorncliffe,i take it you were/are a military man?

Cheers,

Jon

• 3 weeks later...

Archived