Distance 48MLy

Mag 9.5

Date 1/11/15

Transparency 5/10

SQM 21.42

Telescope 12" f/5.3

EP 10mm Delos x159 (TFoV 27')

Sketch notes

Average at best transparency made seeing the 'fleas' very tricky. Only two of them were visible. In the past I could quite easily hold NGC 7337 with AV but conditions just wasn't good enough last night.

NGC 7331 showed a bright core but no sign of the dust lane or detail.

post-20821-0-57410700-1446460295.jpg

• Replies 83
  • Created
  • Last Reply

NGC 7635

Constellation Cassiopeia

Emission nebula

Distance 1400 Ly

Mag 11

Date 1/11/15

Transparency 4/10

SQM 21.45

Telescope 12" f/5.3

EP 14mm Delos x114 (TFoV 38')

Astronomic OIII filter

Sketch notes

This was the second attempt to observe this little nebula, a few weeks ago in near perfect transparency in nearly 21.6 skies I couldn't see it. Last night I observed from the same location with fairly poor transparency and the Bubble was clear to see?!!

The nebula appeared to curl itself around a central star, uniform brightness, a narrow point at one end widening and fading the further it went out.

I tried both NPB and OIII filters, the OIII seemed to pick out the fainter nebulosity slightly better.

post-20821-0-55490700-1446460352.jpg

NGC 7027

Constellation Cygnus

Planetary nebula

Distance 4900 Ly

Mag 8.5

Date 1/11/15

Transparency 4/10

SQM 21.39

Telescope 12" f/5.3

EP 5mm Pentax XW x318 (TFoV 13')

DGN NPB filter

Sketch notes

Small and bright, easy to see even unfiltered and showed itself as a bright blue fuzzy star with a low power EP.

Increasing the magnification and trying both OIII and NPB filters did little to show and detail within.

post-20821-0-77772200-1446460402.jpg

Nice Bubble neb sketch Mike, it's curled up little nature offers a unique view, well worth the effort. The Astronomik OIII gives better views than other OIII's on a lot of faint objects for some reason. I can't wait for more sketches from this area, Gerry.

Nice Bubble neb sketch Mike, it's curled up little nature offers a unique view, well worth the effort. The Astronomik OIII gives better views than other OIII's on a lot of faint objects for some reason. I can't wait for more sketches from this area, Gerry.

Thanks Gerry.

The Bubble is a bit of a enigma for me, I still have no idea why I didn't see it before? Maybe my expectations were too high?

Transparency was pretty poor though, last nights location can hit 21.6 mpsas on a good night but it struggled to reach 21.4.

Object recognition improves after identifying and then observing, no doubt it will be easier and easier for you,sky allowing and it is a hard object. There are also sky conditions that can be kind of mysterious... I'm now wondering if the "density altitude" of the atmosphere plays a part along with transparency... I had a jaw dropping moment a while back when my sky allowed seeing a few individual stars in the Double Cluster naked eye, as I rolled my eyeball around it. Usually it is just a bright glow...

You have found some great sites Mike!

Good work Mike, just what we are missing with all the fog. I take it you had ventured to a dark site for these based on the SQM readings?

Thanks Iain.

Yes I was at my dark site on Bodmin moor, its a cracking little spot on private land so I never get bothered by anyone. Just one faint light dome to the west with just the sound of sheep and cows grazing, bliss.

Time always seems to fly by when I'm at my dark site. :)

Archived