Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

CG-5 GoTo Power supply

IainMcD

Today my CG-5 arrived. I am over the moon. One problem though, I did not realise that it does not come supplied with any means of connecting to the mains, only the car adapter. This is a massive let down, as the first proper clear skies for weeks are forecast for tonight.

Do I need to buy one of these? http://www.firstlightoptics.com/power/skywatcher-powertank-7ah.html

As it's approaching the "cold" season I'd suggest going for the 17Ah version .

The 7Ah will power the mount OK ( if it needs 12V that is .. )  but when the temperature drops in winter you'll find it doesn't last as long as you might think , been there - done that ...  :rolleyes:

If you're setting up close to the house like I do I'd get a mains adapter from Maplins , 12V-4A will be fine and never run flat half-way through a session , power-cuts excepted of course ...  :smiley:

So if I get the Powertank, are there any other cables I need to get with it or can I just plug the lead from the car adapter into it and be on my way?

If not would this http://www.firstlightoptics.com/power/maplins-xm21x-7a-138v-regulated-mains-power-supply.html, with the Skytron cables suggested be ok?

I honestly wasn't expecting to have to go searching for loads of bits and bobs. Slightly disgruntled the scope didn't come with a plug!

I have a bigger 12v 30A supply - a bit overkill but it has nice voltage/ammeter built in

I run an orange caravan power lead to the bottom of the garden (circuit breaker house side) with a two gang plug socket at the telescope end

The socket sits in a plastic IC55 water proof box  (http://www.amazon.co.uk/DRiBOX-FL-1859-285G-IP55-Medium-Weatherproof/dp/B006IRGC0Q/ref=sr_1_4?ie=UTF8&qid=1382802489&sr=8-4&keywords=waterproof+box ), I keep my 12 v 30A power supply in a second  water proof box with all my connections attached and all the leads arranged neatly and the lid closed down

I then take the second box with the power supply down the garden and I only need to plug everything in and connect the cables to the telescope and dew heater control box

If your future is anything like mine, I think buying/building/finding bits and bobs becomes a regularity  :grin:

I have made an outdoor mains power supply for my mount, by getting an appropriate laptop charger off ebay, and cutting off the adapter which would plug into the laptop, and attaching the wires to a three port female 12v cigarette style socket which i can then plug the mount, dew controller and one other thing into. It all sits inside a sealed plastic lunch box under the mount so just an extension lead from the house runs along the floor (the three pin plug from the laptop charger and the female part of that on the extension cable also all sit inside the sealed lunch box).

There are various voltage / watt combinations of laptop chargers out there, so work out a safe voltage for all your kit and connections, and how many amps you will draw. And leave as many fuses in the set up as possible.

James

Archived