SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

Moon through scope for first time

Jamba1971

Had my scope for almost 12 months, but don't often get the skies clear enough to use it. Frustrating really, as it's the only way to get more experience.

Enjoyed Saturday night, clear and a really good view of an almost full moon. Excellent views, even with only my two lenses, the detail was superb. Managed to get a few photos too, basic, but I was really pleased with the result.

Clear skies!

Thanks, I'm using my Celestron eq130 on standard mount. Captured the image holding my iPhone up to the eyepiece! Not the most sophisticated method, but really pleased with the results.

This is how I do it at the moment also. :laugh:  I have no imaging kit but still managed to get a few nice shots of the moon the other night. It's surprisingly difficult to just shoot with a phone through an eyepiece and actually capture something.

This is how I do it at the moment also. :laugh:  I have no imaging kit but still managed to get a few nice shots of the moon the other night. It's surprisingly difficult to just shoot with a phone through an eyepiece and actually capture something.

It is quite awkward, you're right, but satisfying to get some kind of result! Intend on setting up webcam and try layering at some stage. Pity we can't guarantee more clear nights...

Very nice pic James. If you carry on observing the moon through it's phases, it will really blow you away. The level of detail visible along the terminator is stunning. Oddly the period around full moon is the least impressive time to view, so you are in for a treat.

Very nice pic James. If you carry on observing the moon through it's phases, it will really blow you away. The level of detail visible along the terminator is stunning. Oddly the period around full moon is the least impressive time to view, so you are in for a treat.

Thanks Alan, looking forward to it, it's just the dependency on clear skies that gets in the way!

Archived