Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Bubbles stargazing box

Bubbles82

Right here goes I will try to get as many pictures along the way as I can this is not going to be one of the best obsy builds on here due to space and money restrictions but worst case scenario is this becomes a how NOT to do it thread :) I have a design planned out and am fairly comfortable with the upper structural piece of this build. My only real question at this stage is do I go for a raised deck with the hole in the middle or a solid concrete base and bolt my pier to that,I'm thinking that the raised deck would be easier and would offer isolation from the pier?

Advice please anyone :) Matt

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

• Replies 39
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Good luck with the build - looks like you've got plenty of sky to go at.

As for the base you could do either depending whether you prefer concrete or wood.  I went the decking route as I felt it was easier for to me construct and it left less of a 'concrete legacy' in the garden.  If you decide to have a concrete base you can isolate the pier from the rest of the base by making a gap around the pier - I think there's a few examples in previous builds that have details on how to do this.

What size will the observatory be?

Not too bad on the light pollution about 4 miles from norwich city centre and on the older side of the city so fewer streetlights:) when it's clear it's a sea of stars with the naked eye. Been out triple checking the measurements in the pouring rain today hopefully going to start digging the hole for the pier tomorrow, I think this is going to be a long project due to the cost of the the outer materials I plan to use.

Right then after a few trips to b and q for some materials I'm finally going to start digging and levelling the area I plan to use. I have had a few ideas over the last few days on size and other details firstly I'm going to try to build this bigger than first planned and as this build is a roll off shed type of obsy I'm trying to double up the roll off bit as a place to sit and operate this from. I have planned out a few of the little details like some flip up shelves to stand the laptop on when I'm in the cover of the obsy and of obviously a cup of tea :)

• 4 weeks later...

Well just in from the latest lot of mixing concrete in a wheel barrow and I'm barely able to stand upright :). Rain has stopped me for the moment but the forecast for tomorrow is much better so will continue and hopefully get some pics done :)

• 4 weeks later...

Right then massive change of plan for the obs. First off I've decided that leaving my kit permanently set up in the garden is too much for me to handle,although I live in a very very low crime area the worry would be the end of me. So my new approach is to buy a shed and make a warm room to control the mount from and a wooden box with a lid for the metal pier I'm having made (copying Gina's idea from another thread ) :) . Next up will be to make some sort of hub for power and pc connections allowing me to simply go out plug one end into the pc and cameras filter wheel and mount into the other :)

• 2 weeks later...

Update just finished another Christmas present build and I didn't use any grips on this :) ( if you have followed my other post from yesterday you will find this funny )this is the warm room part of the build which is basically a shed Posted ImagePosted Imageand a few bits of the electrical kit I've brought to power the warm room only when in use :) most importantly rcd protection !!!

Looks good. Having an obsy will make a massive difference to the hobby.

never a truer word spoken with the weather here in the uk. My plan is to have a box type structure against the shed and cables through to the mount on a pier which is currently being fabricated, going to over engineer it to handle an eq8 :)

The blue is a compromise,I wanted to do it black but the boss indoors picked it and as she had folded and let me build this in "her garden " :)

The electrical side will basically be a glorified extension lead ie plug from outside socket to double sockets using arctic cable industrial type 3 pin socket connector and the all important RCD protectors going for two to be extra safe one on outside plug and one on electrical in to double sockets.

Hi bubbles,

looks very smart , id go along the same lines as you by having a warm room/store and a separate observing pad/ patio for my scope as it significatly reduces the impact of having a bigger shed/obsy in the garden.

by the way how is the pier build going and where is this in relation to the warm room,

cheers

Hi bubbles,

looks very smart , id go along the same lines as you by having a warm room/store and a separate observing pad/ patio for my scope as it significatly reduces the impact of having a bigger shed/obsy in the garden.

by the way how is the pier build going and where is this in relation to the warm room,

cheers

Cheers :) the plan is to have it as close as possible to the warm room,as like you said minimal impact on the garden, as the pier will only be used for imaging being able to move around it is not a concern. I'm hoping to have it just to the right side of the window so I can keep an eye on the scope whilst slewing . My dad is and engineer by trade so is making the pier for me from my crayon drawings:) this is being made 1.2 m tall so with the mount on top it comes in a just the right height to see over the warm room.

The The rest of the grassed area next to the warm room is going to be covered in either bark chip of Cotswold chippings with 3 circular slabs to put a tripod or my dob on when out just observing :)

• 1 month later...

Right everyone an update on gathering the bits and bobs to build my pier and get this project moving again. The inside is now painted the same as the outside this is to protect and give a more cheerful look,I have cut some treated pieces for wood to make a workstation area to sit my laptop other stuff on while using my stargazing box. I have ordered 250 mm galvanised ducting for the pier ( which has arrived while writing this post)and acquired the stainless threaded rod I need to imbed in the cement when I finally start the concrete pouring. 10 mm steel plate for the top mounting plates cleaned and ready to be painted, rang a few builders merchants this week and have found one that will sell me some 12 mm rebar to put in the pier and founding block. Yesterday I looked to hire a cement mixer which I thought would be cheap how wrong was I !!!!! Here's what I found basically £38 to hire the mixer for a week which is to do the pier and fill inspection pit in the garage simple and cheap I thought WRONG this is to just hire it if you haven't got a way of picking it up ( Partly my fault stupid sports car boot) they will deliver it for £28+ vat each way so now that takes it to over £100. Instantly this made me do my angry face and start a search to buy one on eBay ,long story short found a small electric DIY mixer for £130 and it's just turned up aswell looks well made for the money and if it only last to do the pier I'm no worse off any more is a bonus. I will post some pictures up over the weekend of all these bits and bobs as I unwrap them:)

Filling the inspection pit in the garage sounds like a lot of concrete. Depending on where you live, you can get a minimix lorry of concrete for a very similar amount to the cost of ballast/cement - without most of the hard work! You might even need a proper lorry load and it can be chuted right in.

Filling the inspection pit in the garage sounds like a lot of concrete. Depending on where you live, you can get a minimix lorry of concrete for a very similar amount to the cost of ballast/cement - without most of the hard work! You might even need a proper lorry load and it can be chuted right in.

it's already filled with rubble from my other half finished projects :) it's about 6 inches from the top so shouldn't be too bad but still a fair bit to mix up :)

Archived