Freestanding pier design - help please!

AstroJOE

I want to build myself a freestanding heavy duty pier to go in my observatory. Reason being I only have a 6x6 space to work in and the extended tripod makes the available space even more limited!

The observatory itself is situated on a risen patio that I had laid only last year so there’s no point asking for ‘permission’ to dig up a slab to sink a pier into!! Therefore I want something which is freestanding but with a base that is heavy enough to prevent the CPC1100 falling over and also to ensure there is minimal vibration. However I also want to ensure the pier has as small a footprint as possible..... may be 2.5ft to 3ft in diameter tops(ish).

Anyone seen or heard of such a thing? I appreciate it's not the usual way to do things. Any ideas welcome!!

P.S. I’ll be using it mainly for visual but hope to do some basic imaging work with a DSLR at some point as well......so the sturdier the better

I've attached a photo of how my set up is currently housed so you get an idea of how much space I have to work with

James

post-21020-0-50237400-1382380241_thumb.j

Have seen someone with the same problem.

Basically make the pier as you would normally to put into the ground, but instead it was put into a bin which was then had concrete poured into it.

Believe me it weighed about half a tonne and was never going to be moved in a hurry.

This should give you more room to move around and if it's just for visual use should be stable enough.

Hope this gives you plan

Sent from my iPhone 5 using Tapatalk - now Free (I like free)

Looking at the floor, make a pier with collar or legs and bolt it to a thick sheet of exterior ply and bolt the sheet to the floor. The ply base can be made to any convenient shape, square, circular, hexagonal, octagonal. You could champher the edges to lessen the chance of a trip hazard.

Have seen someone with the same problem.

Basically make the pier as you would normally to put into the ground, but instead it was put into a bin which was then had concrete poured into it.

Believe me it weighed about half a tonne and was never going to be moved in a hurry.

This should give you more room to move around and if it's just for visual use should be stable enough.

Hope this gives you plan

Sent from my iPhone 5 using Tapatalk - now Free (I like free)

Thanks for reply. I had actually considered something like this already but I thought I was probably over simplifying the problem! Glad to hear I may not have been that crazy afterall...........With a bit more planning and the right props (bin and tube) I reckon I could come up with something pretty solid!

This is my own version:  http://stargazerslounge.com/topic/122340-a-homemade-freestanding-pier/page-3?hl=%2Bfreestanding+%2Bpier#entry1690941  Still in use and it works very well.  Total cost was reasonable too!

Looks like a solid and fairly simply design......well made though to be fair! The foot print is also pretty small although I'm not sure how stable the CPC1100 would be on top of it.....its a big beast! Thanks for posting though it has certainly given me some food for thought. Do you think a wooden version would work? I don't really have the skills or tools for metal work.

Looking at the floor, make a pier with collar or legs and bolt it to a thick sheet of exterior ply and bolt the sheet to the floor. The ply base can be made to any convenient shape, square, circular, hexagonal, octagonal. You could champher the edges to lessen the chance of a trip hazard.

I like this idea as well. Sounds simple but effective and wood work is probably more in tune with my DIY capabilities. A round a champhered base sound like it could be a good option.

I have a couple of freestanding piers made by bolting together two hollow building blocks and a 60cmx60cm paving slab. An hours work and about £20 cost.  :smiley:

Have to be honest I'm struggling the visualise this but it sounds a very simple method so if it works it could be a realistic option. Do you have any photos?

• 2 weeks later...

I have considered a ``portable`` pier set up based on how I mounted my air compressor.Do you have any fabrication friends?This base was salvage steel that I plasma cut-1" plate laying on scrap industrial belt chunk.You could just put 3 adjuster bolts-drilled & tapped-for levelling and a tripod effect, with a piece of heavy 6" or so pipe welded to the plate.Actually I saved a small piece just for this.All material was free BTW.

Thank you for all your replies and ideas they've given me some real food for thought and inspiration!

To be honest I might borrow a bit from a few of the ideas. I love the simplicity of the 'bin' and 'brick' ideas in particular. My idea now is to pick up a 4ft length of 6" wide draining tube. Fill it with concrete to add some weight. Cut a hole in the bottom of an upturned bucket type container, fill this with concrete as well and sink the draining tube into it before it sets. I reckon this should end up being a pretty solid and stable structure. What do you think?

Just need to work out how to attach the scope to it now!

Archived