Back Up Moon - 20/10/2013

Luke

I managed to do my back in yesterday, and that evening there was a beautiful moon and clear skies for a while. There was no way I could manage my HEQ5 and ED120 setup, so I hobbled outside with my grab and go ED80 and tripod. Thankfully, it did not cloud over and rain. I'm not sure I would have made it back inside it time! :p

10401384405_8156eedbbb_c.jpg

Please click image for higher res.

I captured in mono and have added a dash of colour to it.

---

20/10/2013

Celestron Onyx 80mm / Grasshopper 3 (ICX687) / Baader 7nm H-a filter

Thanks, folks! Joves, you are most welcome to use the image on your desktop, thanks for asking and thanks for the kind words!

The back is still a bit iffy, but I am more comfy now than before, thanks, after seeing Dr. Aspirin. :p

Mr Bergman, yes I did use AstraImage, for a final touch more detail :smiley: Very cool program. I have used AstraImage quite a bit more on the closeup image that I hope to add below in a mo!

And here's a closeup. It was six tiles and I was starting to get carried away and thinking I might try and tile the whole moon for a high-res shot with my undriven ED80. No sooner did I think that, then the clouds came flying in :grin:

I struggled a bit with noise on this shot. I had cranked up the gain because the signal was dark with my 7nm H-a filter still in place. I think I will use a red filter next time for barlow shots!

10435947993_99a7365a62_c.jpg

Please click image for higher res

This is the first image where I have used Astra Image's deconvolution a lot. For me, it rescued this shot. I could not get very far at all with my usual sharpening techniques in PS, the noise soon became very strong.

Archived