TeleVue Nagler 3-6 zoom

Joves

You won't need a field rotator, not sure one exists (there is a field de-rotator, but that is for something different entirely).

I wouldn't recommend getting one until you've actually tried the eyepiece, you may not see any field curvature :).

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Was just kidding about the "field rotator", guys... Although, I did once consider a field de-rotator, but that was back when I thought the LX90 could possibly be the answer to all my needs!

You're not wrong, Stu... I think I better give it a rest for a little bit now. I actually feel as though I have everything I could need.... For now! :)

Yep, be nice to actually get to use the kit!! Weather not looking promising over here, although I had a brief session last night with the 76 as I think I posted.

Enjoy it all when you can!

Stu

the main reason for holding off is that from the sounds of things you need to regain some perspective on what you enjoy and why and what works best and how. once you do, you'll have a better idea of where to go next.

I am lucky that all I need now are:

Swap my UHC, Oiii and Hb filters for Astronomik

Buy a good quality solar scope

Make EQ platforms for my 12" and 16" scopes.

Convert my 12" and 16" scopes to truss systems

Remake my observing chair

etc, etc, etc,

Spot on Shane... That's exactly what I need to do! Reading posts on this site about nice gear doesn't help curb the urge, though.. I blame you guys with your nice stuff!! :)

As for your next needs:

I have all the Astronomik 1.25" filters and the UHC 2" filter and couldn't be happier with them!

Not sure what size solar scope you're looking for, but I also have a PST and couldn't be happier with it... Unless it was a Lunt 60mm pressure tuned double stack, that is!! :)

Actually, Stu... You wanna know the best part? My Canon IS's are definitely my most used, and probably my favorite, piece of kit!! :)

A wise man's posts once sealed the deal on me buying those little beauties!! I think you might know him...

It does take time to really test stuff out, push the edges of the performance envelope, view objects under varying conditions etc, etc. Sometimes little things that you hardly notice initially mushroom into issues that do actually annoy after some usage while other issues fade away as you get used to using a piece of equipment.

I thought my Nagler T6's were the "bees knees" until some kind soul (Steve at FLO) lent me a Pentax XW 10mm :rolleyes2:

Under some conditions less sophisticated / expensive equipment will match and even beat even the really expensive tools - which is why I'm hanging on to that 6mm Baader Genuine Orthoscopic. I'd not have known this though unless I'd tried eyepieces "back to back" on subjects that were really challenging the scope, conditions and observer :smiley:

I can only speak for the PST, as I haven't tried the Lunt 35mm, but it far exceeded my expectations of solar observing. I find myself ALWAYS grabbing the PST, throwing it on a little Manfrotto portable tripod, and looking at the sun. It's amazing what it shows (and amazing how addictive one object can be to observe!). I love my PST... Such a basic, user-friendly little thing. If something ever happened to it, I'd replace it in a heartbeat!!

Apparently the Lunt 35mm has a larger sweet-spot, btw, so I reckon it might even be a better option.

Anyhow, as you say... All in good time.

Great post John. Unfortunately, I am the only backyard astronomer (hack) I know in real life, so am not able to test different pieces of kit before committing to them.

The past week or so has been a splurge for me, certainly not the norm... So, now I have plenty of shiny new things to try, love, and be outright annoyed and disappointed by! :)

Actually, Stu... You wanna know the best part? My Canon IS's are definitely my most used, and probably my favorite, piece of kit!! :)

A wise man's posts once sealed the deal on me buying those little beauties!! I think you might know him...

I would definitely say I feel the same about mine. Very good for a quick wander round the skies, or a longer relaxed observe from the comfort of a sun lounger! The stabilisation certainly works well, I don't really get on with larger binos and I think you see as deep as some larger aperture binos when hand held.

Stu

Stu

Great post John. Unfortunately, I am the only backyard astronomer (hack) I know in real life, so am not able to test different pieces of kit before committing to them.

The past week or so has been a splurge for me, certainly not the norm... So, now I have plenty of shiny new things to try, love, and be outright annoyed and disappointed by! :)

All my equipment has been bought used. I've very often bought a used eyepiece to try it out and then sold it on at virtually no loss and having gained first hand experience of it and compared it to others I have. I'd never be able to afford anything like the sort of kit I have now if I'd bought it new :smiley:

Joves,

I have the 3-6 zoom and it is a splendid piece of kit, I cannot ever see myself selling it. The eye relief is a little tight but this has not been a hindrance in any way, +1 from me :smiley:

I also have the 31mm Nagler, unfortunately I have not spent much time with it due to the poor weather of late :sad:  On the plus side, the time I have spent looking through it has left my mouth watering :smiley:

Joves,

The 3-6mm Nagler is a fine eyepiece and compares very well to many of the shorter Televue focal lengths without being as good, I have most of them, 6mm, E, 4,5 & 3.5mm Delos, 5mm XW and 4mm Radian. I guess one thing that helps the others come out on top is the FOV. I did a review some months back on all my 6mm eyepieces and the Nagler at the 6mm setting, this was before I smashed my 6mm Delos and includes the 6mm BGO that I also have. The review is in the Equipment section on site somewhere.

In my books it is a fine addition to any case and will sit well along side the other more costly items you have bought, it will also be a useful plantry eyepiece on the LX.

The 31mm Nagler is also a very good eyepiece but I would have thought it would be more useful in the LX than the TV76, 5.3 degree is almost Bino's Fov.

Alan.

Cheers Alan.

The zoom eyepiece seems like it'll be best used for planets, as you say. In the TV-76' the FOV is still quite respectable, giving 18", 24", 30" and 36" at its respective 3, 4, 5 and 6 settings. This is quite a bit less than the 52" FOV I'd get with the 3.7mm Ethos, but still not too shabby. I'll see how I go with the zoom and if I'm feeling as though the FOV is too restrictive on some targets at lower power, I'll grab the 3.7mm Ethos.

As far as the 31mm Nagler being used in the LX90 goes, it would give me a full degree FOV, which would be nice. However, I'll already be getting 0.85 degree FOV in the same scope with the 21mm Ethos, so not sure it would be $700 worth of nice... I'm doubting so! You're spot on about the bino view at 5.5 degree's... At only 15x power, it really would just be a glorified monocular, I guess!!

I'm starting to hate my 3-6 zoom.

It spends so much time in my 6" it is an absolute hog. If it wasn't for the sublime views. Great contrast and detail. total lack of light scatter and absolute convenience in providing mid to high power views, then I'd definitely think about swapping another eyepiece into the focuser ;)

I think you'll find in a TV-76 that the 3-6 zoom will be your most useful eyepiece.  It will cover 160x-80x with a 0.5mm to 1mm exit pupil.  I'm guessing though that you have that scope more for it's RFT properties than grab and go all rounder properties.

It should perform quite well in your PST as well I'd expect.

Such a good eyepiece.

Archived