SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

My observatory build (felt left out :p)

The_PSY3NTIST

So after watching all your builds very carefully over the last 6 months I woke up this morning and though I'd have a go at it myself. When we moved in to the house I had my eye on the shed as it has two rooms already although it is in a bit of a state with a leaking roof and in dire need of a lick of paint!! The windows are corrugated plastic and not very secure so I have my work cut out. See photo!

Posted Image

A trip to the wood yard for some ply and wood for the stud walls in the warm room and here is today's effort before and after.

Posted Image

Posted Image

I'm hoping to get all the warm room boarded out tomorrow and the upvc window in the photo fitted between the rooms.

Wish me luck!!!! :)

• Replies 39
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Yeah Gina it was crying out to be converted :) only bit that is worrying me is how high to make the pier for the mount to go on so I can see as much sky as possible instead of the sides of the walls. I have got 4 lengths of 100x100 box section steel that my cousin is going to weld in to 1 solid stand so don't want to get it wrong

Boarding the ceiling before sorting the opening mechanism may be a bit premature.

That's just the warm room :) the right hand side of the shed is a separate room all together and that is where the pier will be. Thanks for the the link.. I seem to be following a lot of quatermass's projects lol. He gave me the astroeq idea too :)

I'm not sure if to have a roof that slides off or on that folds back yet. Probably the cheapest option ;)

Interesting conversion project - what is the orientation of the observatory, and in which direction do you have good views of the sky?  Thinking about what you're going to able to see where might help your decisions on how the roof should open.

Best of luck with the project.

That's just the warm room :) the right hand side of the shed is a separate room all together and that is where the pier will be. Thanks for the the link.. I seem to be following a lot of quatermass's projects lol. He gave me the astroeq idea too :)

I'm not sure if to have a roof that slides off or one that folds back yet. Probably the cheapest option ;)

Sorry about the above... Tapatalk went a a bit crazy.

Yeah it's a task in hand, that's for sure. I was hoping to do it over the summer but we had a child that put a stop to that and spare cash lol.

It is exactly on the north south axis. Warm room to the south and scope room to the north to allow some extra distance from the house (that is towards the south unfortunately

Minor leak!! :( the rubber on the old tec screws has perished so I have took to the roof with some high temperature sealant :p I plan to replace the roof eventually but cash is pointed towards getting a functional dry/warm room first, the roof will have to be a next summer job as I have to replace the scope room roof first with a roll off one :) was gutted to see drips coming off the edge of the plaster boarded ceiling lol. Oh well crisis avoided anyway

So lots of heavy rain and no leaks :)

Ceiling is complete and walls will be finished in the morning :)

Taken all the measurements and drawn up a pier for my cousin to fabricate using 100x100 box section steel and steel plate that is adjustable with 4 x 14mm bolts.

Today's progress :) .....

Posted Image

Warm room ready for plastering :) The window through to the scope room is only screwed there temporary, still need to angle grind the metal partition that separates the rooms so I can see through it. On to the rolling roof next weekend :) be done in no time.... ( he says ) :p

I think a bit thicker might be better.......10mm plus....

Thanks Tinker. I have no idea when it comes to steel. I'd have thought 5mm would have been enough but better to get an expert opinion :) the pier post itself is going to be 100mm x 100mm box section filled with concrete so I'm sure that isn't going to move anywhere

Archived