EP Recommendations for a 105mm MAK

orange_skies

Hi.

I've recently picked up a 105mm MAK after not owning a scope for several years and am looking for some recommendations on what eyepiece sizes to get.

I think the scope is around F13.5 so focal length is around 1420mm.

The only ep's i have at the moment are a 32mm plossl, which will be great for the wider field of view and a 6mm.

I suspect the 6mm might be pushing it magnification wise (will be able to confirm when mount arrives and skies clear!)

So, looking for recommendations on what eyepiece to look out for to use with this scope for lunar and planetary observing.

My current guess is perhaps 9mm and 12.5mm.

Budget is a factor, so will be looking 2nd hand (maybe orthos) once I can figure out what focal length ep's would bring out the best in this size scope. 

Thanks in advance for any advise.

Alex 

I would recommend EPs in FL 15mm-24mm if you're using the scope under light-polluted urban sky for your F13.5 scope. These are my most used range for my F10 scope. So BST 15/18, BCO 18mm, Maxvision 16mm(If 12mm eye relieve is not a problem for you), 20mm and 24mm. The maxvision are among the best EPs in these focal lengths, excenllent value for the price.

I would recommend EPs in FL 15mm-24mm if you're using the scope under light-polluted urban sky for your F13.5 scope.

Interesting, do you think a 9mm and 12.5mm eyepieces would be too much magnification for lunar / planetary observing with a 105mm MAK?

I don't have a mak but do have a 6" f11 newt which has a focal length of 1600mm. my most used eyepieces are my 32mm which you have and then my 15mm and 11mm TV plossls with occasional use of a 9mm and 7mm BGO.

for tight doubles I use my 6-3mm Nagler zoom so you can use higher powers for certain objects.

I'd recommend the above plossls/BGOs as they are reasonably priced used (maybe £50 each) and the quality is superb.

I think a 12mm would be a good medium choice - enough mag. to see detail, but not too much to darken the image.  An ortho. would have the edge for contrast but at 40 deg. would need a bit of nudging.  Say a 12 bst starguider as mentioned would be a good alternative, while being comfortable the 60 deg field is welcome.  This is the link to the suppliers ebay shop.

starguider eyepiece | eBay

andrew

Thanks for the recommendations so far.

Sounds like a 12mm BST starguider would be a good bet, with perhaps a 9mm eyepiece to follow for higher magnification views of the moon.

Has anyone used a 9mm TMB Planetary eyepiece and would they recommend it ?

Alex

Interesting, do you think a 9mm and 12.5mm eyepieces would be too much magnification for lunar / planetary observing with a 105mm MAK?

In my backyard, 12.5mm might get used a couple of times for the lunar/planetary work because it requires good seeings.

But as Moonshane mentioned, you can use higher mag EPs for double star works.

Thanks for the recommendations so far.

Sounds like a 12mm BST starguider would be a good bet, with perhaps a 9mm eyepiece to follow for higher magnification views of the moon.

Has anyone used a 9mm TMB Planetary eyepiece and would they recommend it ?

Alex

My HR 9mm is a TMB planetary clone, it's quite good, if you have to wear glasses in observing, then it's good choice instead of an ortho or plössl. There're quite many TMB planetaries out there, with varying qualities as I can recall from some discussions earlier, the ones from Sky's the limit are among the better ones as the HRs.

Archived