24mm - Maxvision or Starguider?

Jase_v2

Im looking for a low power eyepiece for the 250px F4.7 dob. I have the 8mm and 18mm Starguiders and Im very impressed with them. Reading the other posts on eyepieces, the Maxvisons are highly regarded. My question is to whether the maxvion is worth the extra cost and is the slightly wider view of a significantly better quality? :grin: . Thanks in advance

• Replies 41
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I have the 25mm BST in the f4.7 dob, it performs well but when you are more critically eyed it is certainly  not sharp up to the edges, and this  can be noted as you move out to the edges of the field and it is not solely down to coma, mostly I do not find it to be an issue unless it requires something where all of the field is needed, I mean I could already see such imperfections in the f/5 smaller dob I had also and can't say it is noticeably/obviously worse. 

I don't know about the ES. the BST starguiders are typically advised for f/5 and slower though and I think that for the ES that is also the advice. I did hear it said that the ES can be tough on the eye or harder to use, but not sure.  It is generally agreed that the BST is easy on the eye and therefore easy to use and I find that too. I get the impression the ES would probably be a bit better though overall if you get on with it from reading around many reports, but at 68 degrees coma will become more of a factor also, the BST is 60. Is it enough of an increase to be an annoyance ?  Hard to say as sometimes that depends on the observer.  Personally I have a high power cheap SW UWA at 66 degrees (6mm), that performs surprisingly well across the field considering it is cheap, not the best contrast I should add compared to a BST, but I ain't complaining at that price :)

is to whether the maxvion is worth the extra cost and is the slightly wider view of a significantly better quality?

Yes and yes. I've used maxvision 24 and starguider 25 at F5 and the price difference could be called slight but difference in views is significant. Getting the maxvision 24 also meant my previously favoured low power 32mm was quickly retired. Apart from the wider field and sharp views the one thing that stood out first using the maxvision was the star colours are much more apparent. There was nothing really wrong with the starguider, I still have an 8mm starguider and like it a lot, but the maxvision was certainly worth the extra money.

Agree with Dave that Maxvision 24mm worth the extra money. it's among the best EP in this focal length, the exact EP Meade branded costs about 3 times. Eyerelieve is 18mm, the same comfort viewing as BST.

I would not think twice about this, buy the 24mm Maxvision. This by all account is the exact same as the Meade 24mm SWA which cost me 179 quid a few years back. I had this the same time I had a 24mm Panoptic and there was not very much between them and that was mostly at the very extreme edge. I know BST eyepieces get good reviews from many on site but I guess this is not from people comparing it to the Televue Panoptics. It is my opinion even though I have never seen one that the Maxvision 24mm will be better than the BST especially in a fairly fast scope.

Alan.

Hmmm - 68 degree or 82 degree ? The scope can take 2 inch and the eyepiece says down to F4 - apologies again - but is the 2 inch a better option, and if so maybe a slightly lower mag due to increased FOV?

Hmmm - 68 degree or 82 degree ? The scope can take 2 inch and the eyepiece says down to F4 - apologies again - but is the 2 inch a better option, and if so maybe a slightly lower mag due to increased FOV?

I have the 82 and its a nice eyepiece but its big and its 2" if its your only 2" you find it a bit of a fag  to keep changing from one size to  another just for one eyepiece

I'd agree with that. As good as the BSTs are for their price, the Maxvisions would still be good a double their price and are significantly better at F5 and below.

I had the 25mm BST and I would say it was my least favourite of the bunch. Even though I had a near complete set of BSTs at the time, I actively disliked it. Probably a bit harsh in retrospect, but I bought it to sit between my (then) BST 18mm and a SW Panaview 32mm and ended up just avoiding using it.

Curiously, the 300p exposed it's shortcomings far more than the 200p, although they're both basically F5. I guess the bigger mirror quite literally shines more light on the issues.

Russell

Ive ordered the 24mm 1.25"  - Ive got 18mm and 8mm BST's and given my novice status, Im happy with the results Im getting with them. Was just after a quality low power EP for scanning and galaxy/nebula use. Thanks again for the advice - though wish Id read about maxvisions before taking the plunge with the BST's .

Archived